Dolby Digital 5.1 Dialogue playing through left and right front speakers?

markb1980

Hi all, I have noticed that some content on some HD channels via Sky Q that play says it is in Dolby Digital 5.1 seem to play dialogue through all 3 front speakers instead of just the centre channel? Is this normal or do I have an issue with my AVR?

All is set up fine and Sky Movies Dolby Digital 5.1 content plays as I would expect with only dialogue from the centre. My AVR displays DD + Dolby Surround which is upmixing but this shouldn’t cause dialogue to come from left and right speakers. Just wondering if it is the certain programmes that’s encoded it this way? One example was the England game on BBC HD the other night.

Andrew1472

Distinguished Member
I‘ve not noticed if it is happening. Do you have an example other than the footy? I’m happy to check it.

markb1980

I‘ve not noticed if it is happening. Do you have an example other than the footy? I’m happy to check it.

There were quite a few examples another was channel 5 999 emergency programme that did the same. I just went through the programme guide and found any TV shows that display in Dolby digital 5.1 on the AVR and checked my speakers up close from listening position it was hard to tell as it came from all 3 speakers. If you could have a little check that would be amazing just so I know of issue my end or not. What is odd is that the stereo content that displays in the AVR as just Dolby surround had dialogue in just the centre channel. But the content that displayed DD + Dolby Surround which is normally the proper 5.1 had dialogue out of all 3 front speakers. Like I said movies were fine from the movie channels and as they should be 🤷‍♂️

Andrew1472

Distinguished Member
You can relax. I’m getting the same thing, dialogue from all 3 front channels. It’s very faint from the L and R, but definitely there.
Its either Sky’s firmware at fault or the broadcaster. My guess would be the latter.

markb1980

You can relax. I’m getting the same thing, dialogue from all 3 front channels. It’s very faint from the L and R, but definitely there.
Its either Sky’s firmware at fault or the broadcaster. My guess would be the latter.
Thank you 🙏 at least that stops me spending hours trying to look for a fault with my kit that isn’t there 😂.

Andrew1472

Distinguished Member
Thank you 🙏 at least that stops me spending hours trying to look for a fault with my kit that isn’t there 😂.
You’re welcome.
Just to complete the answer, I’ve checked Sky’s own channels on live cricket and a movie and both have dialogue firmly locked to the centre channel, so that seems to rule out any fault on Sky’s part.
It must be the BBC, Ch5 etc not taking 5.1 seriously. Can’t say I’m surprised tbh.

markb1980

Yes that ties with mine Sky Movies is spot on with the 5.1, it just seems to be certain shows on certain terrestrial TV channels that show Dolby Digital but all 3 front channels are producing the same sounds and dialogue 🤷‍♂️ Don’t get me wrong I can live with it and still sounds fine I just wanted to sanity check it was not my kit playing up so thank you again for checking for me 👍

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom