"Dolby Digital 2.0/Dolby Surround", "DPL" and my receiver's indicators (Yamaha)

Im pretty sure most of the answers to these questions can be found in www.dolby.com

From memory Im pretty sure I have seen something that says that a DD stream can indicate whether its DD2.0, 2.1 etc. Which would mean that a dvd connected via digital linkcould communicate to a reciever what the default decoding should be.

But I cant remember where it is (when i last looked there were only 10 pdf files on the dolby site now there seems to be millions).

Im pretty sure though that everything that has been raised will be answered after a little investigation on dolbys website

There is also a set of definitions for square with dot diagrams

Originally posted by EvilMudge
Yup, the channels don't have to be assigned in any fixed pattern and each channel can be directed to any number of speakers.
So still there is the inconsistency with indicator lights on receivers then because they are supposed to show inputs, not outputs.

So to summarise the indicators :lesson: :D

1.0 Mono - C
2.0 Stereo - L&R
2.0 Mono - C or maybe L&R - need to check
2.0 Surround - L&R
3.0 - dunno, don't think I have a disk with 3.0
4.0 - L, C, R, LR, RR
5.0 - L, C, R, LR, RR (i.e. same as 4.0 :rolleyes: )
5.1 - L, C, R, LR, RR, LFE
6.1 discrete - L, C, R, LR, RC, RR, LFE
6.1 matrix - L, C, R, LR, RR, LFE ?

Conclusion: there are no rules or logic that can be applied to all the above formats consistently - each has to be taken on its own :smashin:

My head hurts :( :D

Might be on the wrong track but see what happens when you are connected via phonos and not digital (optical/coaxial).

Originally posted by bob007
Might be on the wrong track but see what happens when you are connected via phonos and not digital (optical/coaxial).
I have my TV connected by phonos to the receiver and it just shows the L+R indicators all the time and the "Pro Logic/II" light.

Or do you mean connect my DVD player via phonos to the receiver and see what it does?

Originally posted by Squirrel God
I have my TV connected by phonos to the receiver and it just shows the L+R indicators all the time and the "Pro Logic/II" light.

Or do you mean connect my DVD player via phonos to the receiver and see what it does?
The TV and the phono connections sound right as only a stereo signal is being received from the broadcasts.

Try connecting the DVD via phonos, don't forget to disconnect the digital cable if you decide to try it. ;)

The TV and the phono connections sound right as only a stereo signal is being received from the broadcasts.
I thought they broadcast some Dolby Surround stuff on digital TV?
Try connecting the DVD via phonos, don't forget to disconnect the digital cable if you decide to try it. ;)
OK, will see if the indicator lights change any for Dolby Surround DVDs when I do this :)

I thought they broadcast some Dolby Surround stuff on digital TV?

They do, but it's the decoder that picks up the surround information that's within the stereo soundtrack.

They do, but it's the decoder that picks up the surround information that's within the stereo soundtrack.
Cheers, see what you mean now :)

Like i said Dolby have all the answers

http://www.dolby.com/tech/co.br.0103.DDFAQ.html

Q10 suggests that if the source is a dolby digital track the signal contains information re the original format. SO a suitably equiped amp or player, given a dolby digital data stream should be able to deduce what the source format was and display accordingly.

I am sure further reading will tell you more

Like i said Dolby have all the answers

http://www.dolby.com/tech/co.br.0103.DDFAQ.html

Q10 suggests that if the source is a dolby digital track the signal contains information re the original format. SO a suitably equiped amp or player, given a dolby digital data stream should be able to deduce what the source format was and display accordingly.

I am sure further reading will tell you more

Originally posted by nunew33
SO a suitably equiped amp or player, given a dolby digital data stream should be able to deduce what the source format was and display accordingly.
Cheers. Saw that question before, but there was one thing I didn't notice about it before.

dolbyindicators.gif

Look at the Dolby Surround soundtrack indicator lights that Dolby say should be lit up!! My receiver doesn't have an "S" indicator!!

Does anyone's receiver have an "S" indicator??!!

When I looked at that before, I didn't notice the "S", I saw it as the rear centre channel, but it's not.

Still doesn't say what lights should be lit up for a DD4.0 soundtrack or the others, but I bet the "S" features prominently for all sound formats prior to 5.1!

dolbyboxes.gif

I guess this means that for the 3 dots that are used to indicator Dolby Surround - the rear dot is actually the "S". It doesn't correspond to a channel, probably because Dolby Surround can be encoded with up to 4 surround channels, but can be just 3.

So the source of ALL this confusion boils down to not actually having an "S" indicator, and if you haven't got it, it can't light up :laugh:

Looks like Dolby need to update their FAQ as that one was obviously written before 6.1 and EX.

(Mods note that these images are stored on my own web server so I am within the rules :D )

Dolbys knowledge base facilitates asking questions.

Why not ask them what DD4.0 means!!

Dolbys knowledge base facilitates asking questions.

Why not ask them what DD4.0 means!!
Actually, I'm going to tell them off for creating such stupid symbols that nobody supports and being illogical by using an S and a rear dot to denote a general surround channel whereas all the other symbols and dots denote a single discrete channel ;)

There is some logic now, but it's still a 'method in the madness' rather than sensible design.

DD4.0 is shown as 4 dots in each corner on the back of my Grand Canyon DVD. If I ask them where the centre channel went and why there are two rear surround dots, I'm sure they're answer will just make me angry again so maybe I best leave it :laugh:

All I can say Squirrel God, is "Keep the baby"

All I can say Squirrel God, is "Keep the baby"
What do you mean? :confused:

Is that a "Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater" reference? :confused:

Isnt that what the tramp mumbles to the woman as she runs by in Grand Canyon.

Maybe you cant hear it without it coming out of the centre channel:D

Yeah, but this is inconsistent isn't it. The indicator lights show inputs, not outputs. The rear channel is mono, so a single mono stream is input to the rears and then output to both rear speakers. The indicator lights should therefore show L, C, R, RC because those are the discrete inputs.

It's indeed confusing as it covers discrete and not-so discrete formats.
As explained before DD4.0 should mean FL, C, FR and mono signal to RL and RR.
It becomes even more confusing when comparing formats to LS setups, but better not go there ...

PS: Did you know that THX Surround Ex is correctly called 3/2:3.1 ?

Following Reiner's excellent post note also that:

Dolby Surround is 2:2/.1
Dolby Pro-Logic I is 2:3/.1
Dolby Pro-Logic II is 2:3/2

Bloody marvellous this Dolby numbering system:smoke:

".1" in DS and DPLI? Though you can apply bassmanagement in those cases there is no LFE (to what the ".1" usually refers to). Now when do we get 12.4? ;)

.1 refers to any bandwidth limited channel, not just LFE - ie the surrounds from Dolby Surround and Pro-Logic I - I sense Squirrel God is getting even more angry with Dolby right now!
I'll also edit the above post to try and clear up the numbering system, as I got it wrong slightly.

Isnt that what the tramp mumbles to the woman as she runs by in Grand Canyon.
Of course!! Yes!! :clap:

Such a fantastic movie :)
Originally posted by Reiner
PS: Did you know that THX Surround Ex is correctly called 3/2:3.1 ?
I'm not even gonna ask what that's all about :rolleyes: :D

The "Double-D" symbol clearly stands for "Dolby on Drugs" :rotfl:

The "Double-D" symbol clearly stands for "Dolby on Drugs" :rotfl:
I thought it stood for 'makes for a nice set of pillows':D

Oh and if you want Dolby on drugs, try 'She Blinded Me With Science' with Stadium DSP engaged:laugh:

My discussion about the matter. It was centered on the rear center speaker, but it can be said in general. A long explanation of a simple thing. I don't think it adds that much to the present one (which is by the way further more complete), so if any moderator thinks it should be deleted, I will not complain.

http://www.avforums.com/frame.html?...showthread.php?threadid=66199&highlight=input

Something more: dolby shows the speakers that will sound. In the yamaha amp, you see displayed the input channels (not matrixed ones, only discrete ones!). But I didn't like the "surround" display of speakers of dolby, since the plII has 2 separate rear matrixed channels but in the icon you see only one. Am I wrong? I saw it last week in one dvd which stated "surround" but I could hear two separate rear channels...
BTW, in yamaha, where in the previous diagram appears "s" for surround, I have "rc" for center rear speaker... No "s" in the yammy (see panel in the beginning of the thread).

The "Double-D" symbol clearly stands for "Dolby on Drugs"

ROTFL! :laugh:

Originally posted by cribeiro
BTW, in yamaha, where in the previous diagram appears "s" for surround, I have "rc" for center rear speaker... No "s" in the yammy (see panel in the beginning of the thread).
Cheers for your post. I'm not convinced that RC and S are equivalent however (see previous posts) :)

Originally posted by Reiner
ROTFL! :laugh:
Glad you enjoyed that one Reiner :D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom