Question Dolby Atmos with Netflix on a Sony TV?!

BENBOBUK

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi. I'm trying to watch Netflix with Dolby Atmos. According to the Netflix website it states that "Sony BRAVIA Android TVs (2018 models)" are supported. So today I bought a Sony KD49XF8796BU Bravia TV (which I believe is a 2018 model).

Unfortunately however when I tried it out this afternoon it appears not to be working. I have a Samsung Soundbar (HW-K850), connected via HDMI ARC, with LEDs that should glow blue when Dolby Atmos is enabled - but they remained off.

On Netflix it says "If you have a Dolby Atmos capable system and a plan that supports streaming in Ultra HD, available titles will display a Dolby Atmos icon next to their description" but strangely none of the titles have the Atmos logo despite having the required subscription. So that makes me wonder if the TV really is compatible or if its an outdated version of the Netflix app?

Ive checked for TV and app updates and have spoken to Netflix but they werent too helpful and suggested I speak to Sony, who Ive subsequently emailed, but I imagine they will just say speak to Netflix. So I was hoping someone here might be able to help instead! Could it be some of the audio options on my TV perhaps?

Many Thanks.

Only Sony can state whether your Tv can output Dolby Atmos via ARC for certain. If you have emailed them then they will respond.

Thanks for the quick reply :) To be honest the people on this forum seem to have more knowledge and experience than the Sony and Netflix staff (especially since Im mixing brands) which is why I thought Id ask here too.

Sony have replied: "we can confirm that the KD-49XF8796 does support Dolby Atmos for the Netflix application". Which is good news. I have asked them to clarify regarding ARC as you mention (although as far as I'm aware this is the only way to output Atmos from a TV to a soundbar anyway right?).

If that is the case then, it still leaves the mystery of why its not working! I have the audio output set to Dolby Digital Plus (which I believe includes Atmos) in PCM mode. However in the soundbar documentation mentions that the output should be in 'Bitstream' format, but the TV doesn't have a specific option for that (although isnt DD+ a form of Bitstream?). Any ideas please?

ive a sony 4k tv as well i wanted to no this as well i had it for a few week and the 4k content was crap to be honest bugger all few films that was it un less they add a lot more content its not worth paying for it in my oppinion i use plex but no atmos on it think it takes a lot of room up as the 4k content does as well

to what i can gather theres a few american channels broad casted in 4k im sure there is

Hmmm maybe, but according to the Netfilx website it says....

The following devices support Dolby Atmos with Netflix:

• Apple TV 4K (requires tvOS 12 or later)
  • LG OLED TVs (2017 or newer models)
  • Pixela 4K Smart Tuner
  • Sony BRAVIA Android TVs (2018 models)
  • Windows 10 app (requires Windows 10 RS3 Build 16299 or later)

• Xbox One, Xbox One S, and Xbox One X
Dolby Atmos on Netflix

So I assumed the Sony TV Ive got should be fine as its a 2018 model. But in the Netflix app there is no Dolby Atmos logo in the listings which makes me wonder if it is actually supported as you say :/

Do you have a suitable STB that you could use by way of comparison? At face value it seems that the TV is not playing, but it might have something to do with the ARC connection. In 2018, this whole connectivity thing should not be such trial and error.

Clem

I watched The Christmas Chronicle on Netflix on my Sony 65 AF9 OLED hooked up to my Yamaha AVR-X3060 via HDMI EARC which is HDMI 3 on the AF9 and Netflix had the Dolby Vision and Atmos logos marked on the film screen and it did play in 4K DV and output the Atmos to my AVR. I can confirm it definitely works on my setup.

I watched The Christmas Chronicle on Netflix on my Sony 65 AF9 OLED hooked up to my Yamaha AVR-X3060 via HDMI EARC which is HDMI 3 on the AF9 and Netflix had the Dolby Vision and Atmos logos marked on the film screen and it did play in 4K DV and output the Atmos to my AVR. I can confirm it definitely works on my setup.

Hey UltiResis!

I also have the 65 AF9, connected to my denon AVR-X3500H which is also compatible with eARC but the AVR doesn't receive Dolby Atmos, only DD+ when playing Netflix with Dolby Atmos soundtrack. Did you make a specific adjustement to get this?

Thanks in advance!

Yoel

Hey UltiResis!

I also have the 65 AF9, connected to my denon AVR-X3500H which is also compatible with eARC but the AVR doesn't receive Dolby Atmos, only DD+ when playing Netflix with Dolby Atmos soundtrack. Did you make a specific adjustement to get this?

Thanks in advance!

Yoel

You need to disable earc on the TV if you've got it enabled or it won't pass Atmos audio from Netflix

You need to disable earc on the TV if you've got it enabled or it won't pass Atmos audio from Netflix
zAndy1 thanks you for your help. However this doestn't work either when eARC is disabled.
Moreover, it does not seem logical to disable eARC to get Atmos as only eARC allow to pass HD sound, right?

Hey UltiResis!

Thanks in advance!

Yoel
Hi Yoel,

Seems that a number of people have issues with Denon receivers but I don't know if it's the receiver or the TV settings.

Try the following and see if it resolves the issue for you...

Set Digital Output on the AF9 to Auto 1.

In sound settings on the AF9 go to Advanced Settings, Common and Set Dolby Digital Plus output to Dolby Digital Plus.

Press Home and go to settings, Sound:
Set sound mode sync to on
A/V sync to Auto
EARC mode to Auto

Ensure that your HDMI cable is capable of supporting eARC, it is connected to HDMI 3 on your TV and an eARC supported HDMI input on your receiver (as it may not support eARC on all HDMI sockets).

Now try searching Netflix for a film that has Atmos sound. You will see this on the movie page as it will have the Atmos label. See if it now works and let me know.

The only other thing I can think is that Netflix may not offer Dolby Atmos in your country? You also have to have a Netflix subscription to their ultra package to get 4k movies (and as far as I am aware Atmos).

Hope this helps!

Hi Yoel,

Seems that a number of people have issues with Denon receivers but I don't know if it's the receiver or the TV settings.

Try the following and see if it resolves the issue for you...

Set Digital Output on the AF9 to Auto 1.

In sound settings on the AF9 go to Advanced Settings, Common and Set Dolby Digital Plus output to Dolby Digital Plus.

Press Home and go to settings, Sound:
Set sound mode sync to on
A/V sync to Auto
EARC mode to Auto

Ensure that your HDMI cable is capable of supporting eARC, it is connected to HDMI 3 on your TV and an eARC supported HDMI input on your receiver (as it may not support eARC on all HDMI sockets).

Now try searching Netflix for a film that has Atmos sound. You will see this on the movie page as it will have the Atmos label. See if it now works and let me know.

The only other thing I can think is that Netflix may not offer Dolby Atmos in your country? You also have to have a Netflix subscription to their ultra package to get 4k movies (and as far as I am aware Atmos).

Hope this helps!

Hey UltiResis,

Thanks a lot for you help!

However, I have followed your instruction to get the right settings, and it still doesn't work. I have the Ultra package on netflix and when I select the sound language and quality in Netlix I can select English [VO] (Atmos), but the sound revceived by the AVR is always DD+. Moreover I don't think that it comes from the cable as I can have DTS-X when using my blu-ray player. This is very strange!

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom