Dolby Atmos Speakers

pinochio65

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all members, Dolby Atmos Speakers, which speakers should I Purchase (1) Ceiling Speakers or (2) Above Front Speakers uplifting the sound towards the ceiling.
Would appreciate any responses, comments or advice,
Regards :- PINOCHIO65

If you want to cut holes in the ceiling or afix small speakers to the ceiling then in a 5.1.4 that is always deemed best. If, like me your cariad doesn't want holes or cable everywhere then upfirers are best. I'm more than happy with the soundstage and effects I get from two upfiring KEF R50s.

Lots of options for upfirers these days. Check out the Kef, PSB Imagine, KLIPSCH or for an entry level set, Onkyo

Hi gibbsy, thanks for your response, I have one more question, how high should the speakers be positioned each side of the Television Screen (Approx measurement from floor please).
Awaiting your Response, thanking you kindly.

Hi gibbsy, thanks for your response, I have one more question, how high should the speakers be positioned each side of the Television Screen (Approx measurement from floor please).
Awaiting your Response, thanking you kindly.
My KEF R50s are placed directly on top of my R300s which is the recommended placement. Ceiling height is 8 feet so the centre of the R50s is 43 inches high. See link.
001 copy.jpg

No substitute for ceiling speakers. If your circumstances allow you will reap the rewards over up firing speakers.

There's lots of threads on here with discussions & recommendations for speakers, placement, set up etc.

I decided on a 5.1.2 set up (ceiling speakers) and the sound field really is incredible. I see you're Snowdonia way, If you're ever near Chester you're welcome to check out before you buy!

I went for ceiling speakers. They're a bit more of known quantity. The trouble with all of this Atmos stuff is it's pretty hard to hear before you buy, and things will sound different depending on your room. I chose Kef Ci160QR speakers because I bought into the idea that they sound good off-axis. It worked out well as far as I can tell but it's not like I've had a chance to compare lots of options.

I found installing the speakers quite easy, fwiw.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom