Dolby Atmos speakers position

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by antl, Jan 8, 2017.

1. antl

antl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have just purchased the Denon AVR-X6300H. This offers 11 channels of amplification, i.e I could install a 7.1 + 4 Atmos speakers.

I am just trying to sort out the speaker locations for wiring to be installed, I was going to go for a 7.1 configuration for now. But I want the speaker wire run to also include wire to add 2* dolby atmos speakers in the future. (when there is a better uptake in movies and the price of the speakers go down)

From looking at the guides if I wanted to add 2 atmos speakers they suggest mounting them in the ceiling directly above the front speakers? Is this correct as I was asking in richer sounds and they stated to place the 2 atmos speakers just in front of the sofa.

Just want to double check before I run cable and holes for them.

Thanks

2. Alaric

Alaric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +160
    Atmos has a few positions that work, the normal one is two in the ceiling above the mains, though you can also bounce sound off the ceiling.... The rears are two above behind you and again the bounce technique works.
    There are some wide and surround ceiling options too and a "word of God" centre above for Aurro but I've never heard of on the ground in front for any sound format..... Maybe it was some form of ceiling bounce?

3. Stoke192

Stoke192
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,014
    There's a decent discussion here

Time For Atmos !

Certainly worth a read if your considering ceiling atmos speakers.

4. gibbsy

gibbsy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,333
  5. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,990

There's no Atmos speaker pattern that would have ceiling speakers above the front stereo pair. The only configuration associated with Atmos that would have speakers above the front speakers is one that utilises front wall mounted height speakers. Ceiling speakers would be located parallel with the listening position or slighly ahead of this and not above the front left and right speakers. The rears are always behind you and never above you.

This document gives some guidance on the correct positioning and location of Atmos speakers:
    https://www.dolby.com/us/en/technol...tmos-home-theater-installation-guidelines.pdf

6. Alaric

Alaric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +160
    Didn't realise that the front overhead pair was so far towards the seating position in an ideal setup. Obviously the up firing speakers placed on top of the fronts are not as ideal as promoted!

7. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,990
    The front ceiling speakers are more correctly referrred to as mid position speakers. There's no actual front ceiling speakers as such and only mid as well as rear ceiling speakers. You can however have front height speakers and the upward firing speakers that are intended to mimic mid ceiling speakers are often referred to as front upward firing speakers. Their actual angle and where they reflect sound from would be the mid location you'd associate ceiling speakers with though. You do place them above the front speakers, but they are rebounding audio off the ceiling in order to give the impression that the associated audio is eminating from a mid ceiling location above you.