Dolby Atmos speakers downward firing

adamrs6

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi guys
I have a budget of £300-£400 and would like to buy some decent front height speakers that are dolby atmos.
They would need to be downward firing.

My set up is:
Arcam avr 550
B&W DM 603 S3 L and R
B&W LCR 60 S3
B&W DM 601 S3 rear surrounds
SVS Subwoofer.

Would like to hear peoples personal experience with any recommended speakers.

Also where on the front wall would I be best to place them?

Many thanks

Attachments

• D058FD25-3D35-4B96-AE45-D344F209BAC7.jpeg
    D058FD25-3D35-4B96-AE45-D344F209BAC7.jpeg
    117.7 KB · Views: 329
A pair of Dali Alteco C1's mounted on the wall at ceiling height and in line (directly above the front L&R speakers:

dali-alteco-height-speaker-in-5_1_2.jpg

I have these speakers and they work really well in this configuration. They have simple keyhole style mounts, so 2x screws for each speaker.

There is no need to get the special Atmos speakers. Any speaker angled towards the MLP will be more than sufficient. The main advantage of those Atmos speakers is that they already have a firing angle built in as well as having keyhole fittings for ease of placement.

Your position should be in line with the front left and right.

Hi guys
I have a budget of £300-£400 and would like to buy some decent front height speakers that are dolby atmos.
They would need to be downward firing.

My set up is:
Arcam avr 550
B&W DM 603 S3 L and R
B&W LCR 60 S3
B&W DM 601 S3 rear surrounds
SVS Subwoofer.

Would like to hear peoples personal experience with any recommended speakers.

Also where on the front wall would I be best to place them?

Many thanks

You can also mount them slightly wider than mains if it looks better, but not too close to side walls (1feet min) as the fire forward when mounted with the two screws (keyholes at rear). Below is few good choices all available in black too, but if you have white walls then i would keep the speakers white and run the wires near the ceiling with white trunking for best "blending".

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Going for the Dali Alteco C1.
Just wondering, if anyone can recommend wall mounts for these so I can stick them to the wall and angle them to the listening position?

I got these to hang my 4 C1's in the same way you want to
(They also do a 2 pack version):

deleyCON 4x Universal Speaker Wall Mounts Loudspeaker Wall Mountings Tilt + Swivel up to 10 Kg Load Weight Ceiling Mounting + Wall Fitting - Black Amazon product ASIN B074W7XNZP
They come with multiple fixing options etc. Really good quality imo 👍🏼

Going for the Dali Alteco C1.
Just wondering, if anyone can recommend wall mounts for these so I can stick them to the wall and angle them to the listening position?

You don´t need to angle them, Dali doesn´t recommend angling for ANY of their speakers cause they already have wide dispersion and can become overly bright if angled. However if for some reason you still want to do that, then see the attachment and the thread..

Attachments

• alteco.jpg
    alteco.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 308
You don´t need to angle them, Dali doesn´t recommend angling for ANY of their speakers cause they already have wide dispersion and can become overly bright if angled. However if for some reason you still want to do that, then see the attachment and the thread..

The brackets used in the picture @Gasp3621 shared a virtually identical to the ones I linked to above btw

In the OP, the picture i put up of my set up. Would you say the floorstanders are okay where they are or should they be wider. I have my subs to either put on the outside of the fronts or inside closer to the cabinet?

In the OP, the picture i put up of my set up. Would you say the floorstanders are okay where they are or should they be wider. I have my subs to either put on the outside of the fronts or inside closer to the cabinet?

There is pros and cons either way. If you spread them more apart and they go almost in corner, make sure they are pushed good amount forward and try differnt toe in (angling) toward listeners. Run your receives setup again if you move the position of speakers and sub. Only way to know for sure is to try it out and give it few weeks.

Personally i would bring the center channel at the front edge of the av-unit or at least buy or build yourself a table stands for them to raise them up as you have space below tv still, why not use it all to get the speech locked higher where your ears (and main speaker tweeters) are when seated.

Looking some advice.

Should I keep my Atmos up firing speakers which are the KEF R8A, on top of my speakers and just buy 2 pairs of heights for the front and back.

Or should I reposition the up firing current Atmos speakers and place those as heights for back and front and be done with it.

Maybe having up firing and down firing would muddy the whole ambiance really don’t know what to do looking for some advice. My thinking is place my current up firing Atmos speakers as front and rear heights that is the best way to go about it or is there any benefit to having up firing and down firing All at the same time or is that a non starter would there be any benefit to that scenario.

Looking for advice on the above.

Looking some advice.

Should I keep my Atmos up firing speakers which are the KEF R8A, on top of my speakers and just buy 2 pairs of heights for the front and back.
You can't have both Atmos upfiring and heights - as the AVR only has one set of speaker terminals that doubles for either upfiring or height positioned speakers.

In addition, the amp assign in the AVR menu can only assign the Atmos speakers as upfiring, or heights, or top middle etc. Both types cannot be assigned concurrently.
Or should I reposition the up firing current Atmos speakers and place those as heights for back and front and be done with it.
This is the option I've gone with I my own 5.2.4 (4 Dali C1's as heights front & back). Doing this configuration allows for all of the following atmos sound modes:

Dolby Atmos
DTS:X
Auro 3D

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
You can't have both Atmos upfiring and heights - as the AVR only has one set of speaker terminals that doubles for either upfiring or height positioned speakers.

In addition, the amp assign in the AVR menu can only assign the Atmos speakers as upfiring, or heights, or top middle etc. Both types cannot be assigned concurrently.

This is the option I've gone with I my own 5.2.4 (4 Dali C1's as heights front & back). Doing this configuration allows for all of the following atmos sound modes:

Dolby Atmos
DTS:X
Auro 3D

Hope this helps!
Thank you so very much for clarifying that for me saves me buying yet more speakers that are not needed so thank you for the clarification. Kind of thought that myself anyway hence why I ask here just to make sure in case I got it wrong.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom