Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Dolby Atmos Speaker Packages

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by P13FACE, Dec 15, 2016.

1. P13FACE

P13FACE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Is anyone aware of any Dolby Atmos speaker packages?

I'm struggling to find some.

I currently have KEF KHT 2005 speakers (5.1) and am looking to upgrade to Atmos. I've just seen that the Xbox One S will now have Atmos support, so am thinking of upgrading my speakers too.

With the market the way it currently is, do you think it would be best to keep my KHT-2005 speakers and add an additional 2 ceiling speakers? Or, to buy a complete new speaker package?

My budget is probably about £1500ish.

Thanks

2. richardsim7

richardsim7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,483
    Does your amp support Atmos?

If you're happy with your KEF eggs then there's no reason not to just add a couple more speakers to the ceiling (either in-ceiling or on-ceiling) :)

3. gibbsy

gibbsy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,075
    If you are going to keep the Eggs then you could stay with KEF. Even four will be well within your budget even with the additional cost of firehoods and cables.
    KEF CI130QR Single Ceiling Speaker

However your amp will obviously have to support Atmos but be able to configure 5.1.4, that's nine channels of built in amplification or at least 5.1.2, 7 channels, plus pre-outs to be able to use an external amp for the two extra channels.

4. P13FACE

P13FACE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
  5. gibbsy

gibbsy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,075
    Decide on your receiver first. That is going to be the beating heart of your system for a good few years. You could go for changing the speakers bit by bit. A pair of the Eggs could still act as surrounds, mine did until a couple of weeks ago. The sub could remain, it's probably just as good as the Elac to be honest. The Elac upfirers are interesting.

That leaves the front three and a pair of upfirers. What I did was to firstly get a pair of KEF R100s and a 200 centre, swiftly followed by a pair of R50s for Atmos duties. Now the 100s have been upgraded to R300s and 100s have replaced the Eggs as surrounds. Now my system is complete. Well that's what I've told the wife, I'd love a sub upgrade.

You could, with some canny shopping, get some better speakers along with a receiver for around £2k then replace the rest when funds allow.

6. richardsim7

richardsim7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,483
    The eggs are still pretty decent speakers. What amp do you have at the moment? Spend enough on a new one and that could bring a huge improvement in overall sound

7. gibbsy

gibbsy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,075
    The upgrade route is complicated by the need, or desire, for Atmos speakers and that additional cost. As good as the Eggs are upgrading the front three with my old Denon 2310 made a really big difference and mine were the better spec'd 3005s. Replacing just the front three to R100/200 combo was worth the expense.

When a receiver change, another noticeable upgrade in sound, allowed for the inclusion of Atmos speakers it was not as pronounced as the initial speaker upgrade over the Eggs. The caveat with that is the front Atmos really expand the front soundfield and I would never go back to 5.1. I would still recommend the upgrade path to be quality front three over a mediocre upgrade just for the inclusion of Atmos.

8. richardsim7

richardsim7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,483
    Yeah upgrading the LCR is probably a good idea too

Be warned, though, it's a slippery slope. Last year, I had a set of Q7000i, now look at my sig... :p

9. P13FACE

P13FACE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Ha, thanks chaps for all the advice.

My current amp is an Onkyo TXSR-507, it's probably about 6 or 7 years old now. I'm not really sure how it would compare to a modern amp in terms of sound quality, I was thinking about getting something like a Yamaha RXV581? Would that be sufficient? Would it make much sound difference with my eggs?

To be honest, I quite like the idea of adding bits over time. I may as well get quality and take my time with it.

Appreciate all the advice.

10. gibbsy

gibbsy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,075
    Apart from Atmos on the 581 I would say that sound quality wise it would be more of a sideways move from your current Yam. You would certainly find a bigger jump in quality in upgrading the front three even with your old receiver.

If you have an AudioT shop close to you it may be worth your while having a look as they are currently offering 12.5% off certain speaker makes, KEF included. I just saved £125 off a pair of R300s and this time last year I managed to push them to 15% off a pair of R100s and a R200 centre. My old Eggs really blended well and were only replaced a couple of weeks ago.

If you go down the same route as I did then you will really need to be looking at a bigger upgrade in the receiver department. It gets costly and somewhat addictive.:)