Question Dolby Atmos Soundbar & Subwoofer versus wired home cinema system

El Gordo204

Novice Member
Reaction score
Greetings folks, I’m new to the forum.
I’m downsizing and currently have a 10yr old home cinema system (Onkyo amp and 5.1 surround wired under the floor); new house the living room will be smaller but wanted to get folks views on whether the Dolby Atmos soundbars with a subwoofer out there negate the need to have ceilings behind me or in the ceiling? Our new living room will be narrower hence I want the best sound but a cleaner set up if that makes sense.

Any views or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers :)

I'm sorry to be blunt but the best Dolby Atmos soundbar cannot get anywhere near even an average 5.1.4 setup. It just can't, it's not possible despite the marketing hype. Don't do it

I'm sorry to be blunt but the best Dolby Atmos soundbar cannot get anywhere near even an average 5.1.4 setup. It just can't, it's not possible despite the marketing hype. Don't do it
Totally appreciate you being direct, thanks

Even a mediocre surround sound for Atmos will slay the most expensive soundbar. Wider soundstage, depth and Atmos performance will always be on the side of the full speaker layout.

The other issue you possibly have is how many sources do you have and how do you connect them to the soundbar?

Unless you have an eARC enable TV or like swapping HDMI cables all the time most soundbars only come with a single input.
Some don't come with any, so the only Atmos they get is DD+ from streaming apps, and then your Atmos enabled discs (if you have any) don't have Atmos anymore and get reduced to DD 5.1, no Atmos at all.

Last edited:
Is your system built around a TV or a Projector?

Floor plan - do you have a plan of the room and proposed seating layout?

Some folk are quite happy with a Soundbar others not so difficult to say if you would find one OK or not - how about system use, TV, Movies, Music or a mix of all three?

Joe

Greetings folks, I’m new to the forum.
I’m downsizing and currently have a 10yr old home cinema system (Onkyo amp and 5.1 surround wired under the floor); new house the living room will be smaller but wanted to get folks views on whether the Dolby Atmos soundbars with a subwoofer out there negate the need to have ceilings behind me or in the ceiling? Our new living room will be narrower hence I want the best sound but a cleaner set up if that makes sense.

Any views or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers :)
Stick to 5.1 it will be much better sound quality and performance than a Atmos/DTS X soundbar. My living room is also small, plus low ceiling and rented so I can't have Atmos ceiling speakers.

I've been upgrading all my small 5.1 satellite speakers. Currently have bookshelfs for the front left and right channels as they double for music listening. One on wall speaker for the centre channel. with two more on wall of the same speaker to buy for the surrounds when funds are available.

If you want a clean uncluttered look for the living room then on wall or in wall speakers is the best option. You can get some really good quality on wall and in wall speakers these days.

@El Gordo204 It would be nice if you let members know on what you've decided to do.

@El Gordo204 It would be nice if you let members know on what you've decided to do.
Thanks all for your responses, apologies for radio silence. Ended up going for a Bose 550 lifestyle system. Getting installed just before Christmas. Compared to the soundbars and there was no comparison. Thanks for all your comments 👍

I don't wish to rain on your parade but can you change your mind?

You could do better for a lot less money, or get something much better for the same.

Committed to it now, the Bose system suits what I’m after and the room size I have.

The important thing is you're happy with it.

to get folks views on whether the Dolby Atmos soundbars with a subwoofer out there negate the need to have ceilings behind me or in the ceiling? Our new living room will be narrower hence I want the best sound but a cleaner set up if that makes sense. Speed Test

to get folks views on whether the Dolby Atmos soundbars with a subwoofer out there negate the need to have ceilings behind me or in the ceiling? Our new living room will be narrower hence I want the best sound but a cleaner set up if that makes sense. Speed Test
A soundbar would be best for aesthetic reasons to make a room look less cluttered and neat. It's a lifestyle choice rather than a good audio choice. If you want to room to look neat and tidy pick the soundbar. If you want good audio then go the receiver and separate speakers, especially in an Atmos set up.

You will almost certain to never see a sound bar in a dedicated home cinema.

it doesn't matter how good the sound bar is. dedicated surround speakers will always be used by nearly every single home cinema enthusiast.

ive never seen a magazine article of a dedicated cinema room with a sound bar.

virtual or fake surround doesnt sound the same as a proper surround setup with discrete channels

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom