Question Dolby Atmos soundbar advice. Lip synching concerns.

RetroDaz

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in getting a dolby atmos soundbar but I'm concerned about lip synch issues.
As much as I love my LG C8 it's absolutely crap for film playback over arc. I have a Sony 4k player and as it has two HDMI outputs (one for picture and one for sound) I was wondering if I could simply plug the HDMI lead into the soundbar and use it as an amp, rather than simply connecting via arc? Interestingly, amazon and netflix seem fine when I use arc, but nothing else works.

I'm interested in getting a dolby atmos soundbar but I'm concerned about lip synch issues.
As much as I love my LG C8 it's absolutely crap for film playback over arc. I have a Sony 4k player and as it has two HDMI outputs (one for picture and one for sound) I was wondering if I could simply plug the HDMI lead into the soundbar and use it as an amp, rather than simply connecting via arc? Interestingly, amazon and netflix seem fine when I use arc, but nothing else works.

I would say yes.
my Panasonic 4K player has 2 outputs as well, 1 video/ audio and 1 audio only.
so I connect the audio only to my soundbar and the other to the tv.
works great.
i did have to set an option on my 4K player to indicate that I am using both hdmis....
i still connect the tv to the bar via arc for the tv apps like netflix etc.
no lip sync issues here...

That's interesting. Weirdly if I want to watch films via my AMP I have to turn the ARC off as it automatically defaults to it. I have to physically turn the ARC off on my amp, switching it back on when I use the TV apps like Netflix and Plex. It's not the end of the world, but it's annoying.

That's interesting. Weirdly if I want to watch films via my AMP I have to turn the ARC off as it automatically defaults to it. I have to physically turn the ARC off on my amp, switching it back on when I use the TV apps like Netflix and Plex. It's not the end of the world, but it's annoying.

I do need to switch inputs on my bar when using the 4K player but that’s all...

Maybe it's my amp then. If I switch the LG settings to the TV output so I can use the amp the TV then switches back to ARC.

It’s strange. I can connect using just 1 hdmi, but then I don’t get lossless atmos and I get some minor lip sync with atmos content from disk. I assume eArc is better but I don’t have that...

Sadly Arc isn't standardised like eArc so it appears that crappy products are being made and then companies are blaming each other for the problems. There's plenty of painful reading here if you type in LG Lip Synch issues.

My set-up is so.
LG TV
AMP
SONY 4K player HDMI goes into TV and HDMI Sound goes into AMP (it's made like this for AMPS that don't have Dolby Vision).
I get no lip synch issues this way. This only happens when I try running everything via arc.
My concern was that I'd only be able to use the soundbar via arc, making it a £600+ paperweight (depending on the model I pick up).

I’ve a Panasonic oled tv and Panasonic sc-htb900 bar.
the bar is decent but of course you don’t really get a full atmos effect.
i don’t have rears etc.
but the 2 units were released at the same time so I was fairly confident that they would work well together and I have never really had any issues.
i assumed Panasonic and Sony etc would release 2.1 products this year but it seems not although all panny new products do include eArc.
I assume the c8 doesn’t have eArc, in which case, yes, you won’t be able to make use of it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom