Dolby Atmos + Sonos Arc + LG 65G1

Geldwolfje90

Novice Member
Hello,

I have a Sonos Arc connected through eArc to my new LG 65G1 TV.

When i put my LG TV on 'Passthrough' I get Dolby Atmos (DD+) when i watch Netflix.
When i put my LG TV on 'Auto' I Get Dolby Atmos when i watch Netflix (so without the DD+ written behind it).

My question now is: Which one is better?
I hear no clear difference but i was just wondering what is the difference between the two?
Also if i would play content that supports Dolby Atmos TrueHD, then would the Sonos Arc say "Dolby Atmos (TrueHD)"?

I cannot find any clear answer online about this specific question.

Thanks in advance ^^

next010

Distinguished Member
Streaming services only output DD+ Atmos and LG WebOS apps do not support HD audio formats.

The other variant of Atmos is TrueHD that is found only on Blu-ray's.

Both DD/TrueHD Atmos can be optionally output as Dolby MAT this is uncompressed PCM + Atmos so for example DD+ is output as PCM 5.1 Atmos and TrueHD as PCM 7.1 Atmos.

It might be the G1 can use DolbyMAT for WebOS apps but I'm unsure on that.

The pass-through setting in WebOS is meant to pass all supported formats via eARC (LG do not support DTS audio formats).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Geldwolfje90

Novice Member
Streaming services only output DD+ Atmos and LG WebOS apps do not support HD audio formats.

The other variant of Atmos is TrueHD that is found only on Blu-ray's.

Both DD/TrueHD Atmos can be optionally output as Dolby MAT this is uncompressed PCM + Atmos so for example DD+ is output as PCM 5.1 Atmos and TrueHD as PCM 7.1 Atmos.

It might be the G1 can use DolbyMAT for WebOS apps but I'm unsure on that.

Thank you for your reply.

So the difference that my Sonos Arc says "Dolby Atmos (DD+)" with passthrough enabled and just "Dolby Atmos" when i use Auto is just a 'bug' in the Sonos Arc? It probably plays the same Dolby Atmos version? Since i dont hear a difference anyway and im watching the same content.
I sometimes also get Multichannel PCM 5.1 and PCM 7.1 with different content, but it never says Atmos behind it, so i guess thats something totally different?

Im such a noob when it comes to this :p

Upvote 0

next010

Distinguished Member
Thank you for your reply.

So the difference that my Sonos Arc says "Dolby Atmos (DD+)" with passthrough enabled and just "Dolby Atmos" when i use Auto is just a 'bug' in the Sonos Arc? It probably plays the same Dolby Atmos version? Since i dont hear a difference anyway and im watching the same content.
I sometimes also get Multichannel PCM 5.1 and PCM 7.1 with different content, but it never says Atmos behind it, so i guess thats something totally different?

Im such a noob when it comes to this :p

It could just be just a labelling issue.

On WebOS Auto is meant to downmix the audio if enabled on eARC but DD+ 5.1 Atmos does not need to be downmixed as it works over old ARC as well.

For PCM 5.1 or 7.1 that is typically a game console or PC, you want the lowest latency audio for games and that is PCM, don't use Dolby.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Geldwolfje90

Novice Member
It could just be just a labelling issue.

On WebOS Auto is meant to downmix the audio if enabled on eARC but DD+ 5.1 Atmos does need to be downmixed as it works over old ARC as well.

For PCM 5.1 or 7.1 that is typically a game console or PC, you want the lowest latency audio for games and that is PCM, don't use Dolby.
Thank you.

I have eArc enabled, so does that mean need to use auto mode or passthrough?

When I use auto i get Dolby on PS5. When I use passthrough i get Multichannel PCM 7.1. but the annoying thing is I cannot change this even if i change my PS5 to output 5.1 my Sonos Arc still sees it as 7.1. I don't have a 7.1 setup so all the sound behind me in games just disappears... that's why I used Dolby on PS5 cuz it's the only thing that gives me full surround sound (but it gives me lipsync issues tho XD)

So nothing workkssss

Upvote 0

next010

Distinguished Member
Thank you.

I have eArc enabled, so does that mean need to use auto mode or passthrough?

When I use auto i get Dolby on PS5. When I use passthrough i get Multichannel PCM 7.1. but the annoying thing is I cannot change this even if i change my PS5 to output 5.1 my Sonos Arc still sees it as 7.1. I don't have a 7.1 setup so all the sound behind me in games just disappears... that's why I used Dolby on PS5 cuz it's the only thing that gives me full surround sound (but it gives me lipsync issues tho XD)

So nothing workkssss

WebOS
eARC = enabled
HDMI audio input = bitstream
Digital audio output = pass-through for eARC usage

I'd use WebOS apps for video streaming as audio settings are separate and image quality will be better, I'd avoid using Sony PS5 streaming apps.

On PS5 sound settings
  • Settings->Sound->Audio Output
  • Device Type = amplifier (not soundbar)
  • Number of channels 5.1
  • Audio Format Priority = Linear PCM (lowest latency audio)
The PS5 Blu-ray app has its own separate audio settings, if you press options button while playing back a disc you can select Linear PCM or bitstream but given the LG does not support DTS I would suggest leaving it on PCM as DTS will be decoded as PCM.

Also make sure the Sonos ARC is on its latest firmware as its required for PCM 5.1 support according to rtings review of the product.

If the audio is still off for you stick with Dolby 5.1 in PS5 sound output though this can be laggy for some people.

Upvote 0

Geldwolfje90

Novice Member
WebOS
eARC = enabled
HDMI audio input = bitstream
Digital audio output = pass-through for eARC usage

I'd use WebOS apps for video streaming as audio settings are separate and image quality will be better, I'd avoid using Sony PS5 streaming apps.

On PS5 sound settings
  • Settings->Sound->Audio Output
  • Device Type = amplifier (not soundbar)
  • Number of channels 5.1
  • Audio Format Priority = Linear PCM (lowest latency audio)
The PS5 Blu-ray app has its own separate audio settings, if you press options button while playing back a disc you can select Linear PCM or bitstream but given the LG does not support DTS I would suggest leaving it on PCM as DTS will be decoded as PCM.

Also make sure the Sonos ARC is on its latest firmware as its required for PCM 5.1 support according to rtings review of the product.

If the audio is still off for you stick with Dolby 5.1 in PS5 sound output though this can be laggy for some people.

Right, for me the Dolby is also very laggy on PS5, the audio and video are not in sync by a millisecond or two. But the Linear PCM option is really soft compared to everything else. Like I'm watching Netflix (TV app) and change to PS5 and suddenly sound really soft so I turn it up. And then when I go back to Netflix I'm deaf instantly haha. The difference in volume is really big. Also the PCM on PS5 is not impressive, like shooting and explosions are very boring. It sounds pretty much like I'm just listening tv speakers. Even tho I use the Sonos Arc and get a Multichannel PCM 7.1 (if i have to believe the Sonos display).

But for now I'm having the exact same settings as u said above. Because those should technically give the best results.

I added a file where I wrote down all the outcomes with different settings. If u look at it, then what would be considered best? (Hope u can read my handwriting).

Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG20210531190846.jpg
    IMG20210531190846.jpg
    241.2 KB · Views: 61
Upvote 0

next010

Distinguished Member
At this point its a matter of taste, what works for me might not for you.

With PS5 set back to TV speakers, try rtings suggested settings for PCM 2.0 stereo using the trueplay room correction feature but this is apparently only possible via the Sonos S2 iOS app. See the Stereo Frequency Response With Preliminary Calibration section of their review were they list the settings in the text.

The Sonos has an auto volume function enable that and see it that can lessen the differences.

Dolby lag is very difficult if not impossible to fix in some cases.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom