Dolby Atmos set up with my new Denon X3700H

Olly Day

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I’ve just bought the new Denon X3700H AV for my HOME CINEMA. I have an existing 7.1 set up. I want to add Dolby Atmos speakers in the ceiling, probably four and was wondering whether to keep it as a 7.1 set up, as well at the 4 Atmos ceiling speakers, or to cut it down to a 5.1 set up, plus the 4 Atmos, which is often favoured?? Please help. Thanks. Olly

I made this exact transition and opted to keep by 7 channel bed. 7.1 => 7.1.4
This requires an external amp. I use mine for the front channels.

Depends of whether you want to go to the expense of buying a power amp for those extra two channels needed for 7.1.4. If you have the current speakers set up for a good 7.1 and want to add four Atmos then just losing those rear surrounds could just be a short term solution if you want to add a power amp in the future.

You've nothing to lose really. What you will gain is the Atmos effect but more so the way that Dolby Surround and DTS Neural:X breathes new life into old non Atmos discs or TV soundtracks.

I made this exact transition and opted to keep by 7 channel bed. 7.1 => 7.1.4
This requires an external amp. I use mine for the front channels.
Thanks for the advice Sean, do you set the volume on the external amp before running the built in speaker correction set up?

Depends of whether you want to go to the expense of buying a power amp for those extra two channels needed for 7.1.4. If you have the current speakers set up for a good 7.1 and want to add four Atmos then just losing those rear surrounds could just be a short term solution if you want to add a power amp in the future.

You've nothing to lose really. What you will gain is the Atmos effect but more so the way that Dolby Surround and DTS Neural:X breathes new life into old non Atmos discs or TV soundtracks.
Thanks for that, if I decide not to add an extra power amp, would it be better to keep my side or my rear surround speakers??

Thanks for that, if I decide not to add an extra power amp, would it be better to keep my side or my rear surround speakers??
You do not have a choice. You cannot add rear surrounds until you add the side surrounds. This does not stop you from moving the side surround to the rear or alternatively connecting the rear surrounds as side surrounds.:)

You do not have a choice. You cannot add rear surrounds until you add the side surrounds. This does not stop you from moving the side surround to the rear or alternatively connecting the rear surrounds as side surrounds.:)
Thanks for that, I will report back 👍

do you set the volume on the external amp before running the built in speaker correction set up?
My particular power amp had no volume control. If you are using one with a volume control, you will need to find an appropriate volume to leave it at before running Audyssey.

My particular power amp had no volume control. If you are using one with a volume control, you will need to find an appropriate volume to leave it at before running Audyssey.
Thanks for that, it’s really helpful 👍

Hi everyone, I’ve just bought the new Denon X3700H AV for my HOME CINEMA. I have an existing 7.1 set up. I want to add Dolby Atmos speakers in the ceiling, probably four and was wondering whether to keep it as a 7.1 set up, as well at the 4 Atmos ceiling speakers, or to cut it down to a 5.1 set up, plus the 4 Atmos, which is often favoured?? Please help. Thanks. Olly
Just I finished my dolby atmos ceiling speakers placement.

Attachments

• IMG_20220208_003219.jpg
    IMG_20220208_003219.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_20220208_003213.jpg
    IMG_20220208_003213.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_20220208_003122.jpg
    IMG_20220208_003122.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_20220207_225525.jpg
    IMG_20220207_225525.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 108
Wow. They are very impressiv 👌 thanks for sharing the photos.
hooe you are pleased with the sound after it’s all set up.
and I have a pitched roof, as it was an old 1930s garage I am so so couldn’t fit flush speakers I am but I’m very pleased with the sound, i’m tweaking it tomorrow after the initial automatic set up

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom