Dolby Atmos on Samsung HW-Q800T soundbar via ARC

markmac234

Novice Member
Hi,

I have just purchased a Samsung HW-Q800T soundbar which is connected to a Samsung JU6500 4K TV via HDMI 1 (ARC). I have also connected a BT TV Youview box to the soundbar. When watching BT Ultimate with Dolby Atmos, the bar shows it's receiving Atmos and it sounds fine. My problem is with everything else that I want to stream with Atmos. As the TV does not have eARC, if I purchase a 4K Firestick and connect it to another HDMI port on the TV, will the Atmos from Netflix, Prime Video and Tidal HiFi apps all be able to send Atmos via the ARC in HDMI 1 or does it require eARC to send the Atmos to the bar? If it does, it's a no-brainer and I'll jump straight onto Amazon to buy one. TIA.

Mac

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
For uncompressed HD and Atmos audio you require eARC.

Some ARC enabled TV's will support compressed Atmos as DD+ from onboard Apps - though they may perversely not support it from external devices connected to the TV HDMI Input sockets, you would have to check what your TV supports.

A multi input HDMI Switch which supports HDR, uncompressed Atmos etc ahead of the Soundbar is your best option.

Joe

Upvote 0

markmac234

Novice Member
For uncompressed HD and Atmos audio you require eARC.

Some ARC enabled TV's will support compressed Atmos as DD+ from onboard Apps - though they may perversely not support it from external devices connected to the TV HDMI Input sockets, you would have to check what your TV supports.

A multi input HDMI Switch which supports HDR, uncompressed Atmos etc ahead of the Soundbar is your best option.

Joe
Joe,

Thanks for the info. I was thinking of a multi input HDMI connector too. Are we both talking about the same thing, in that all devices (Firestick, Blu-ray, BT TV box) would all plug into the multi connector which would then plug into the soundbar? The soundbar would then plug into the TV.

Mark

Upvote 0

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Yes the ‘multi input HDMI connector’ is called an HDMI Switch - they come in many configurations, what you need to ensure is that the Switch supports all of the video and audio formats you wish to support.

Joe

Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

65-inch LG C1 Review coming soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom