Dolby Atmos on Prime Video

john milton

Novice Member
Cannot get sound on my Pioneer VSX-S510 receiver when watching Wheel of time on my Prime Video tv app that shows as being in Dolby Atmos. When watching the same program through the Sky Q box I get DD sound.
When watching a Dolby Atmos movie on Disney plus app I get sound.
Any thoughts as why this is.

MattyBB

Have you tried manually switching the audio mode to DD or another mode? Do your hear sound in other modes?

Lots of variables at play here. The interaction between App, TV and AVR still leaves a lot to be desired with Atmos content; often the AVR is not at fault.

john milton

Novice Member
Have you tried manually switching the audio mode to DD or another mode? Do your hear sound in other modes?

Lots of variables at play here. The interaction between App, TV and AVR still leaves a lot to be desired with Atmos content; often the AVR is not at fault.
Where do I change the audio mode? I am only connected to my receiver with an optical cable as I cannot seem to be able to get DD sound from my new Philips 856 to my Pioneer receiver with an Hdmi cable. All other apps and other prime video programs send DD sound okay.

MattyBB

Pretty sure the advanced audio codecs (such as Atmos) don't work via optical as it doesn't have the bandwidth for all the data required. You would need to use HDMI for them.

That said, you need to check if your TV can output sound via HDMI. If so, one of the tv HDMI ports will say ARC or eARC (better). Plug the TV end of the HDMI cable into this port and check for sound. Try turning everything of and on again once you've done it.

iirc, ARC supports DD, whereas eARC supports the latest codecs too, such as Atmos. Hopefully you have eARC if you want to use Atmos through TV apps.

If your TV doesn't have an eARC port but you want Atmos content, you could always connect a seperate Atmos-capable device directly to your AVR. I did this with my previous TV, by hooking up an XBOX to the AVR. Atmos sound went to speakers, video went through AVR, up HDMI cable into TV.

dion 6

You don't need eARC for atmos from the streaming apps all the streaming apps stream in lossy atmos which is dolby digital plus with atmos metadata which can be transferred through arc. But not through an optical cable. My tv hasn't got eARC and I get atmos from all the stream apps.

MattyBB

Good shout.

Having looked this up, it seems the capability to transmit lossy Atmos via ARC depends on your whether your TV supports this feature; TV's pre-2017 are unlikey to. Not sure of OP's TV though.

gibbsy

I am only connected to my receiver with an optical cable
You cannot pass any form of Atmos with an optical cable. It is restricted to Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS 5.1 SD audio as an absolute maximum.

dion 6

On the subject of the wheel of time I've just tried it and it's advertised just as 4k UHD but when I play it it's got an atmos track as well. I hope this is a change in direction for amazon for in the past they gave us very little atmos content

dante01

Distinguished Member
On the subject of the wheel of time I've just tried it and it's advertised just as 4k UHD but when I play it it's got an atmos track as well. I hope this is a change in direction for amazon for in the past they gave us very little atmos content
Amazon make no indication of whether you get Atmos or not with anything hosted via that streaming service. They do not indicate the inclusion of Atmos with anything that includes it.

You'd have to rely upon wprd of mouth or trial and error in order to ascertain what includes Atmos. After saying this, not that much on Amazon actually has it.

atmoscinema

Atmos seems to be showing up on Amazon original series.

Just got it working on my Cube. Could have been my Atmos bar update i did?

Dolby Digital Plus is meant to be at a higher bit rate over HDMI too, so trying that as well.

🙂

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom