Quantcast

Question Dolby Atmos on Disney+

Lhasadreams

Novice Member
Hi,
I stream using at Apple TV (4K) to an Arcam AVR390 configured as a 5.1.4 system.
Today I added Disney+ to the Apple TV.
All of the Star Wars movies say that they are in Dolby Atmos, but my AVR reports Dolby Surround when playing them. I can stream Apple Dolby Atmos movies and the AVR detects the Atmos fine.
I tried some other Disney+ movies and found that the Lion King and Toy Story 4 actually stream in Atmos.
Has anyone else managed to get the Star Wars movies to stream in Atmos?
Cheers
Adrian

jwsg

As you'll see from the other Disney+ threads esp. Disney plus - No atmos from apple tv 4k this is common. All the streaming services have switched to lower bit-rates for audio and video which for D+ means the 5.1 stream without Atmos. The film info shows Atmos if your device would have been able to handle it.

Lhasadreams

Novice Member
Ok thanks.
Strange that a couple of the movies still stream with Atmos though, I would of expected the bit rate throttling to be across everything.
Cheers
Adrian

jwsg

Ok thanks.
Strange that a couple of the movies still stream with Atmos though, I would of expected the bit rate throttling to be across everything.
Cheers
Adrian
it would be useful to know which ones as I've had no luck so far. I think its possible it works by having a set of versions of each film with different bit-rates and configurations that the app normally chooses between based on your line conditions and device - rather than them being able to vary bit-rate on the fly. The streaming companies would then have simply removed the top tier versions - but maybe missed some.

Lhasadreams

Novice Member
The Lion King and Toy Story 4 did but have since been reduced to 5.1 surround.
Part 2 of Mandalorian played with Atmos tonight, but not part 1.

pavloPL

I think Disney downgrading sound for Europe, they don't for US however so I use Smart DNS to trick it is from US and having Atmos on all Mandalorian episodes and Star Wars so far.