Dolby Atmos kef q50a or T101

Adziadam

I have just purchased 1x Kef Q50a from Richersounds to start my atmos setup as height channels. I am looking to use Kef t101 as rear speakers as these are thin enough not to block an exit door. Upon reviewing the performance of these I have stumbled across people using these on their ceilings as Atmos speakers, there isn't a great deal of information in relation to how they sound on atmos compared to other methods such as the Q50A in heights.

It is a bit of a gamble and cheaper but would there be a great deal in benefit for t101 ceiling-mounted compared to height channel speakers, I know the Q50a has the uniq driver so dispersion may be better than the t101s not sure.

Any help would be appreciated.

gibbsy

You've basically answered your own question. The T101s will do an excellent job in the Atmos domain, look neat on the ceiling and you may very well be able to put them in the very best position for the overall speaker layout.

The Q50a are designed to do Atmos in two different positions. On the upfiring role they are very good (I have KEF R50s) when position on top of the front speakers. They carry a premium price because of that design and the specific role they are meant to carry out.

If you can position them then it's the 101s that would happily fulfill the role you want and sound just as good. On ceiling is always going to be better than upfiring or front wall mounted.

Adziadam

You've basically answered your own question. The T101s will do an excellent job in the Atmos domain, look neat on the ceiling and you may very well be able to put them in the very best position for the overall speaker layout.

The Q50a are designed to do Atmos in two different positions. On the upfiring role they are very good (I have KEF R50s) when position on top of the front speakers. They carry a premium price because of that design and the specific role they are meant to carry out.

If you can position them then it's the 101s that would happily fulfil the role you want and sound just as good. On the ceiling is always going to be better than upfiring or front wall mounted.
Excellent, there aren't many installation images of the t101's on the ceiling and kef doesn't recommend it probably because they don't want to take responsibility for them falling off the ceiling. As they are only 1kg I probably don't even need to find anywhere structural to install them so can use the wall plugs that are designed for ceilings that open up.

As for wiring I should be able to paint my Vandamme blue cable white and hot glue gun it to the ceiling as I have a textured ceiling so d-line trunking is a no go.

When I get my livewire finder will check and see if it's a possibility and go from there.

Thanks again Gibbsy

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
KEF T301 pictures below on-ceiling and they prefered the effect more than with R50.

Adziadam

KEF T301 pictures below on-ceiling and they prefered the effect more than with R50.

I did stumble across those online and they look great, it's probably easier to compare those against up-firing speakers than height channel speakers I noticed that a few members on here have done the same with the t101s but it isn't very common :)

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom