Dolby Atmos issue with 4k player

nk2501

Novice Member
Hi, new here and looking for some help. Have an LG SN7CY Soundbar, dolby atmos capable. Have my sony ubp-x700 4k player connected directly to it. Tv and 4k player both have sound output set to auto rather than pcm. All should be ok? But no atmos when playing 4ks.? No atmos logo pops, just the dolby vision. Get atmos through the likes of Netflix fine. What am I missing?

Nayfne

Distinguished Member
Hi, new here and looking for some help. Have an LG SN7CY Soundbar, dolby atmos capable. Have my sony ubp-x700 4k player connected directly to it. Tv and 4k player both have sound output set to auto rather than pcm. All should be ok? But no atmos when playing 4ks.? No atmos logo pops, just the dolby vision. Get atmos through the likes of Netflix fine. What am I missing?
Try settting your Sony X700 4k player to Bitstream out, in the audio settings.

nk2501

Novice Member
These are the options under audio on the 4k player

Attachments

• 20210115_102707.jpg
    20210115_102707.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 52

CaptainJames

A recent Sony Blu ray owner reported Atmos problems, solved by switching a "BD Audio" setting off.

dante01

Distinguished Member
BD Audio MIX is what Sony call SECONDARY AUDIO. This should always be turned off if wanting to BITSTREAM audio. It would otherwise convert the HD formatted audio in order that it could then mix in the secondary audio such as directors commentary into the audio stream. This would in turn result in the Atmos metadata being discarded and not being output within the otherwise encoded audio package.

Also note that Sony have an AUTO option on their players as opposed to a BITSTREAM option relating to the HDMI audio output configurations. Ensure that the DIGITAL AUDIO OUTPUT setting is set to AUTO on the Sony player.

nk2501

Novice Member
Seems to have worked! Amtos popped on my soundbar. Thanks! Although the dialogue now sounds a little tinny. Possibly down to my soundbar.... reducing Centre speaker output helps a little. Still not over impressed. PCM seems to mix the dialogue better

CaptainJames

Seems to have worked! Amtos popped on my soundbar. Thanks! Although the dialogue now sounds a little tinny. Possibly down to my soundbar.... reducing Centre speaker output helps a little. Still not over impressed. PCM seems to mix the dialogue better

Bitstream requires your soundbar to decode the audio as opposed to the player with PCM. But to be frank, soundbars are a poor substitute for a proper AVR/Surround speakers system, particularly when it comes to Atmos, so don't expect miracles from it.

nk2501

Novice Member
Ah yeah I know, its nice to hear the separate tracks, like rainfall, and the score sounds much better. Dialogue is my only issue. Although having watched a movie with atmos, pcm now sounds a little dull 😂

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom