Dolby Atmos Intermittent On Different Apps.

PWRR

Novice Member
Hello.

Sorry if this is in the wrong section but i couldn't find an audio section to post it in.

Why does Dolby Atmos work in some places and not others. What i mean by that is, for example, if i go onto Amazon Prime via my TV (Panasonic GZ950) app and play a DA film it won't play it in DA. But if i go onto Amazon Prime via my Fire TV pendant (3rd gen) app it will play the same film in DA. Which is weird because my TV is DA and Vision capable.
It does the opposite if i log onto Netflix via my TV app where it plays in DA and Vision but if i go onto Netflix via my Fire TV app it won't!
But some things do play in DA on Prime via my TV app and some things do play in DA on Netflix via the Fire TV pendant. It makes no sense!

I don't get it at all. Any advice or help would be great.

PWRR.

dante01

Distinguished Member
It depends upon the platform on which the app is running and whether or not the app's developers have built that app to be able to provide you with Atmos on that particular platform. Some streaming services will give you DA via their app on a particular platform while others will not.

PWRR

Novice Member
It depends upon the platform on which the app is running and whether or not the app's developers have built that app to be able to provide you with Atmos on that particular platform. Some streaming services will give you DA via their app on a particular platform while others will not.
Hi Dante.

I know what you are saying but my built in TV apps are designed for DA and Vision. Some films it will play DA and some it won't. All within the same location. I.e my TV app OR the apps on the Fire Tv stick.

Maybe i failed to explain it properly. For example:
Film A will play in DA using Prime Video on my TV app. Film B will not play in DA using Prime Video on my TV app.

But Film B that didn't play in DA on my TV app WILL play in DA when using the Fire TV stick apps.

Even though other films will play in DA! The same goes for Netflix.

I have watched films in DA in ALL scenarios so i know everything is DA capable. It's why i bought that specific TV and specific Denon AVR.

It just makes no sense and i'm forever switching between locations to see which one will play DA.

PWRR

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
Probably a Q to ask of Amazon and Netflix ?

Remember that Film A on Netflix will not necessarily be the exact same copy as Film A on Amazon.
One version may even have content edits?

e.g. BBC broadcasts some programmes in stereo in the UK when they are actually made in 5.1 for commercial overseas broadcast (BBC Worldwide pay for that variation, outside the Licence Fee).

dante01

Distinguished Member
As suggested, the two films are not nescessarilly the same in every respect and one service isn't guranteed to have the rights to stream Atmos in association with a film while another service may have the rights that allow them to include Atmos.

Amazon haven't that much content inclusive of Atmos anyway. If you want to watch films encoded with Atmos then you'd be better using Apple or looking at Disney+. Netflix has a large number of titles inclusive of Atmos, but isn't probably the best service for accessing film content. A lot of content on Netflix is exclusive to Netflix.

Last edited:

PWRR

Novice Member
As suggested, the two films are not nescessarilly the same in every respect and one service isn't guranteed to have the rights to stream Atmos in association with a film while another service may have the rights that allow them to include Atmos.

Amazon haven't that much content inclusive of Atmos anyway. If you want to watch films encoded with Atmos then you'd be better using Apple or looking at Disney+. Netflix has a large number of titles inclusive of Atmos, but isn't probably the best service for accessing film content. A lot of content on Netflix is exclusive to Netflix.
Hi Dante.

I see.

That's just bizzare then. I'm sure there is a reason for it though of course. It is a mystery to me why the world of 4k, Atmos, HDR10, Vision etc has to be so complicated. Early days yet i suppose in the grand scheme of things.

As for streaming providers, yeah Amazon is not great for Atmos. I do in fact subscribe to all 4 mentioned above. I'm forever flicking through each one to see who has what. It's a real pain but hey ho.

Why Amazon chose not to label Atmos on their videos is beyond me. It's only a selling point!

Thanks for explaining it to me though.

PWRR.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom