Question Dolby Atmos Help

Discussion in 'Members DIY Home Cinema Showcases' started by EBT1974, Jan 25, 2018.

1. EBT1974

EBT1974
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Evening all,
    I am hoping someone can help. I have an AV receiver Sony STR DN1080, speakers I am using for fronts is Kef R100, surround rears are Kef T series. The Atmos speakers are Kef R50. I have set up my system to the best of my knowledge, and don't get me wrong it sounds good. But just wanted to make sure I have the Atmos side set up correctly as not really hearing much difference from a 5.1 system. Does anyone have this AV receiver with the Kef Atmos speakers?
    Any pointers on the set up would be appricated.
    Thanks

2. Nayfne

Nayfne
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,745
    Have you tried the test tones in the receiver to make sure your kef Atmos modules ( upfiring speakers I presume?) are good to go? Are the speakers set up as per Dolby guidelines for Atmos or as near as possible?

What Dolby Atmos content have you tried mate?

3. EBT1974

EBT1974
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi yes done the test zone, sound is coming from the speakers. Even watched a bit of a film with the front speakers unplugged. Also watched the same scene with the Atmos plugged in and not, didn’t hear much difference. I have watched War of the planet Apes and Mad max fury road. Are there other good scenes that I could try to get Atmos experiences? My main question was on the Sony receiver and what settings it should be on, there is a ceiling height option but not sure this is needed.

4. Supersonic

Supersonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +210
    Try some of the test material here:

Dolby Labs Website

or here:

http://www.demo-world.eu/

You might have to hunt around a bit on that last one.

Once you know all your speakers are firing when they should, it'll be down to EQing the amp's output (lots of help on here elsewhere).

HTH