Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization, your experiences?

shmerls

I want to add Atmos speakers at some point and so I’m wondering if Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization is a decent workaround for now or not? If yes, in a 7.2 system, which speakers output the height audio, does it approximate 2 or 4 height speakers, and does the additional height audio processing sacrifice any audio in a 7.2 system as when you’re not running Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization?

Lastly, might Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization be good enough to not add actual height speakers I ask meekly.

kdp99

I had it for a few months before l added physical speakers. I found it was a decent step up from plain 7.1, but nowhere near as good as the real thing. Perhaps 30% or so.

shmerls

Thanks. I was wondering why the Denon X4700H and X6700H don't have it. Now I see it makes sense since they are 9.2 and 11.2 respectively whereas the Arcams are 7.1 natively so it makes sense for them sorta since it sounds a bit gimmicky for them.

kdp99

Not sure if that is the reason, I have the Denon 8500 which can (and now does in my case) drive a full 13.1 system. However Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization was only added as a firware update less than a year ago, might be worth checking if the 4700 and 6700 got it via a similar update.

Seems as if it has been added

Last edited:

Krobar

Thanks. I was wondering why the Denon X4700H and X6700H don't have it. Now I see it makes sense since they are 9.2 and 11.2 respectively whereas the Arcams are 7.1 natively so it makes sense for them sorta since it sounds a bit gimmicky for them.

It is added by newer versions of the Dolby decoder. Arcam added it middle of last year (as did Denon), just for reference most of the Arcam's actually support 16 channels (More than Denon).

I tried it briefly last year, the effect is quite nice but nowhere near as good as real height speakers.

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom