Dolby atmos games on Win 10 issue

mallow81

Novice Member
I've been having issues with games correctly sending dolby atmos to my receiver (in games). Let me begin with my equipment:
Ryzen 7 5800x
32gb Ram
RTX 3080
Win 10 Version 21H2
Denon AVR-x4700h
Polk Signature Elite series in 5.1.4 setup.

Dolby atmos works fine from my pc most of the time - netflix app, MKV videos, the dolby access app demos, etc. but will not work in any games! I have the dolby access app installed (and reinstalled), the "SOUND" setting in advanced and spatial are both set to Dolby Atmos for home Theater. When loading into some games, the receiver will pop-up Atmos, but then go back into "multi-channel IN". While it is all 9 channels being used, it is not atmos.
I've tried all suggestions I can find online. My job used to be in computers so I am quite familiar with the inner workings and have only ever built my own. But this issue alludes me.
Any help would be amazing!!

next010

Distinguished Member
To the best of my knowledge PC Atmos games use Dolby MAT which is PCM + Atmos metadata.

According to some Denon owners it displays DolbyMAT as multi-channel PCM.

If your certain the output is not Atmos then its hard to gauge why the Denon reverts to regular PCM. Could it some kind of configuration issue with the Denon ?

If your getting correct Dolby Atmos from DD+/TrueHD sources then the system is correctly passing the audio, its just the PCM side that is not working.

Something else you could try is download the CRU this allows you to edit the EDID windows creates from scanning displays (denon avr counts) and what features it supports.

Plug another PC into the Denon and run the CRU, go into the extension blocks were it lists HDMI audio formats supported then compare against what the CRU reads on the gaming PC, if there are any differences in Atmos support try copying them over to the gaming PC.

mallow81

Novice Member
Thank you Jose! When I check the Denon AVR Remote app it shows that all of my speakers are active (5.1.4) so I think it is sending 9 channels.
I hope Denon makes a firmware update for that soon. It's a bit annoying.

JoseSXFIEAX

Novice Member
What I don't know if the problem is Windows or the Receiver because any sound with Dolby Atmos that is not from games, the receiver recognizes it as Dolby Atmos without problems.
And this has already been going on for some time apparently with different receivers. It is a signal interpretation problem.
Of course, to me PCM Multi Ch In 5.1.2 games sound the same as if they were on the Dolby Atmos screen for now.
I also have the SXFI CARRIER sound bar and here Dolby Atmos detects them without problem.

fate37

Novice Member
Have you solved the problem? I'm having the same problem now. I think muti ch in is not atmos sound. The sound of the ceiling channel is not properly allocated.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Have you solved the problem? I'm having the same problem now. I think muti ch in is not atmos sound. The sound of the ceiling channel is not properly allocated.

i could get dolby atmos working for tomb raider by installing dolby atmos for home theatre app. switching to that in sound setting, booting tomb raider, it bit streamed atmos data which involved my ehights

fate37

Novice Member
i could get dolby atmos working for tomb raider by installing dolby atmos for home theatre app. switching to that in sound setting, booting tomb raider, it bit streamed atmos data which involved my ehights
Did you run it on the pc instead of the xbox? When I play the Atmos game on the PC, it is still fixed to multi ch in.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom