1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dolby Atmos for this size room

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by masscrazy, Feb 14, 2017.

1. masscrazy

masscrazy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm thinking about Atmos and 4 ceiling speakers with additional 4 ceiling speakers for music only. And a So a 5.1.4 setup. A good idea?

EDIT - I see no amp under £700 does 5.1.4. So I'll do 5.1.2.

Regarding cables, hows monoprice 14AWG cables?
    Untitled-2.png

sea2.png

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
  2. YEHBABY

YEHBABY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
  3. gibbsy

gibbsy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,962
    How are you proposing to drive these speakers? One receiver for Atmos in a 5.1.4 and a seperate amp for music?

Your Atmos layout is about right but is there any need for in ceiling music, a quality receiver and speakers will fill the room with music. I have an L shaped room, not as big as yours, but not far off and I find music in stereo from the front pair (KEF R300) easily fills the room, certainly with a better quality sound than you would get from in ceiling.

4. DodgeTheViper

DodgeTheViper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,536
    I'd try to get the Atmos speakers wider/further apart. And bring the front ones closer toward the back sofa.

5. masscrazy

masscrazy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    :) I definitely under estimated the cost of 5.1.4. £700, might consider it, my max was going to be £500 and didnt realise 5.1.4 wouldnt be available at that price range. Looks a nice amp, price gone from £1100/1000 in September and £700 now, so could come down more, so maybe.

Was going to use single AVR swap speakers as and when. And I will have floor standing speakers at the front. But the 8 will distribute the sounds nicely without going too loud, I suppose is the advantage of the 8 ceiling speakers.

Wider would go beyond the listening area, and so probably not an option unfortunately. I also just came from the "time for atmos" thread and just saw your setup, looks pretty damn sweet!

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
  6. DodgeTheViper

DodgeTheViper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,536
    It doesn't look like they would, looking at your proposal. But where you have them hilighted, they're too narrow, they need to be wider apart.
    Make them wider if you can, bring the front ones further back as well.
    If you can't, no biggy :)

7. masscrazy

masscrazy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    In general, anyone reckon this setup is overkill 8 ceiling and 5 surround sound.

Also what kind of cabling? 14 AWG? Also seen some ceiling speakers with dual tweeters which will require extra cabling are these worth it?

8. richardsim7

richardsim7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,437
    I think they're only really designed if you can only have 1 speaker (they output stereo from one speaker)

9. masscrazy

masscrazy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Might scale back to just four, the ones above the sofa. For a few reasons, the cable run is a bit tricky but not exactly impossible and the ceiling may end up looking cluttered. Although in the design it looks ok.

Anyone have any opinion on the placement of the four, (beside the projector right above seating area for the first pair and slightly more closer to the projector the front two)?

How about this, 4 speakers closer together and the other 4 no longer in scope. And only the front two will be used for atmos, the back two for additional 2 channels. What Im thinking for now.

Untitled-221.png

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  10. richardsim7

richardsim7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,437
  11. fayeanddavid

fayeanddavid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,738
    That looks a lot better layout

Your RL and RR speakers, are these your side surrounds, if they are could you bring them forward to be directly either side of your MLP or if not just a few degrees behind, they look a bit wrong to me where they are currently and you're in danger of losing the side surround effect
    Otherwise, much better I think

12. masscrazy

masscrazy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yep those are the side surrounds they will be mouted on the wall, but at the top of the room, so close to the ceiling speakers. Thats why they're slightly further back and will be angled down. With that in mind does the placement make more sense?

13. richardsim7

richardsim7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,437
    Your base layer should all be ear height, leave it to the atmos speakers to height related things :)

14. fayeanddavid

fayeanddavid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,738
    As Richard says, your base layer could be viewed as horizontal 2D sound effects (5.1 or 7.1)and the Atmos speaker (2 or 4) provides the overhead/vertical/3D immersion, hence the need to separate by physical placement

15. masscrazy

masscrazy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have no other option really than to mount the surround (included in base layer i assume) high on the wall. Placing the atmos speakers in the center of the listening area and rear surrounds quite far back should be sufficient separation, or no?

16. fayeanddavid

fayeanddavid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,738
    Given that our room layouts are often a compromise yes it will work but as always the optimum position would be better
    Enjoy

17. gibbsy

gibbsy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,962
    I had that problem, known as SWMBO. However I managed to lower my surrounds by about 60cm and it made a big difference. They are still about 30cm too high but I have pushed my luck as much as I dare.;)

18. DodgeTheViper

DodgeTheViper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,536
    We all have to make compromises in one way or another and to varying degrees.
    If you haven't already, take a look at the Dolby guide that has been posted. Look at the top elevation and side elevation to show the positioning and Height of any surround speakers. What you're trying to achieve is as close to this guide as possible. Anything too extreme from the guidelines is a compromise and too much compromise loses the affect that you're trying to achieve in the first place.

Having surrounds high up on the wall is a compromise. To counteract this, having the Atmos speakers further into the room is a compromise. It may well sound ok but the effect will be reduced somewhat.
    It's not just about the physical separation between layers of speakers but about their position also.

'If' your proposal is indeed your only option, then go for it. Just be aware that you'll go through some potential pain installing everything. And you then don't want more pain if it goes wrong.

I'm not trying to put you off btw ;)

19. masscrazy

masscrazy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Haha had to google SWMBO :rotfl:

I think I have a better idea, its not ideal but a compromise which close the second plan I layed out. Just had a look again at the dolby link, and I think my atmos placement is close to recommended. The rears will need a rethink, might be able to stand mount them but it will get in the way if I get large size speakers.