Dolby Atmos confirmed for Sky Q

Riaz78

Established Member
Reaction score
Finally!

Sky has confirmed that it will offer Dolby Atmos audio this year. An Atmos software update will be rolled out later this summer. The first beneficiary of the 3D audio upgrade will be live Premier League football, where Dolby Atmos will partner UHD visuals.

Sky Q goes Dolby Atmos, announces Sky Soundbox - Inside CI

Can't wait to try it out with the football!

Cheers
Riaz

Only available for 2tb boxes as I recall. Apparently, spending £100 on the 1tb box isn't enough to afford that luxury as it doesn't support 4k. When I was having problems with my sky hd box, they tried to persuade me to buy the 2tb box, they didn't even mention that there was a 1tb box out there. Luckily, for the time being my box has righted itself so no need to change it.

Last edited:
The Sky Soundbox will retail at £799, however current and new Sky customers will only pay £299, while new and existing Sky Q Multiscreen customers can get it for £249. Customers can pre-register for latest at Sky.com/SkySoundbox.

that's quite a discount for customers but do they expect to sell to non-customers, especially as it seems to be designed to work with Sky Q....

I wonder if it will be any good - potential bedroom box at £249 (if I had Q :D )

Sky started to roll out the Atmos update two weeks ago and many 2TB Q boxes already have it enabled.

I don't see the big benefit with football, just crowd noise.

Movies should be the big winner and we should start seeing the box set shows being Atmos enabled. Shows like Game of Thrones already has an Atmos soundtrack.

Shame this 'half' series of GoT will be finished before Atmos is switched on ... unless having it enabled on the Q Silver box will mean it will magically appear already ? ... might have to test when I get 5 mins this weekend ?

Shame this 'half' series of GoT will be finished before Atmos is switched on ... unless having it enabled on the Q Silver box will mean it will magically appear already ? ... might have to test when I get 5 mins this weekend ?

Currently only the G of T Bluray box sets have Atmos on top of True HD. The box sets on Sky and the live broadcasts have Dolby digital 5.1. They would need to have a minimum of Dolby Digital+ and Atmos.
So you won't get Atmos even if you have an Atmos upgraded Q box.

Early days yet for Sky but we should expect Atmos on these sorts of broadcasts in the future.

Lee

thanks @logiclee ... I have the box sets to date - was just interested in whether the broadcast might have embedded Atmos which was just ignored without the software update ...

Great news :thumbsup:

I agree, I wonder how much Atmos will add to a football game. Perhaps more of an "atmosphere"?!

It's a nice edition along side their UHD for films and series, might make me think twice before buying the BD or UHD for some titles.

(I think the OP should change their avi :rotfl:)

I'm guessing you would hear no difference to your sound if your soundbar/base etc don't support it?

I'm guessing you would hear no difference to your sound if your soundbar/base etc don't support it?
Correct. Hardware required - Compatible soundbar / speakers & amp.

Had a letter this morning from Sky about upgrading to a Q box. Another £12 a month? Not worth the money they are getting at the moment. I hardly switch the HD+ on.

Had a letter this morning from Sky about upgrading to a Q box. Another £12 a month? Not worth the money they are getting at the moment. I hardly switch the HD+ on.

I think the Q boxes are portals from another dimension through which Murdoch will summon his evil hordes.

Other than this, just an additional £12 per month for the chance to watch cricket in Atmos is well wortb a punt (if you've fallen off a roof and badly banged your head).

I use hd for movies and sport, but not for the terrestrial channels. In fact I don't even know what numbers 4 and 5 are in hd.

Its good to know that Atmos will be coming to SkyQ but i would only really use it for Films - not football! Films are the only time I really use my Audio system with Sky.

I will be on the lookout for a new Audio set-up as my current is 5.1 and I want to get an eARC supported Dolby Atmos/DTS-X upgrade - preferably one that bounces sound of the ceiling rather than ceiling mounted speakers. I haven't bothered upgrading for years - my Home Theatre system is only a DVD player but as its been 'good enough' for 5.1 audio - the audio quality of most of my devices, its not been necessary to upgrade. However with 4k Blurays, consoles and now Sky Q able to deliver Atmos audio, it seems a good time to.

What I am hoping SkyQ offers sooner rather than later, is HDR!!!

Will this be on general HD films at some point or is it just the UHD films and 4k sport?
Thanks

Will this be on general HD films at some point or is it just the UHD films and 4k sport?
Thanks
Just via the 2TB Q box, which is required to watch UHD content.

Just via the 2TB Q box, which is required to watch UHD content.

Thanks, i appreciate it's only on one box, but not having a 4k tv I would be upgrading purely for the Atmos. Not something I'll be doing if only available on the 4k content only.

If by having the 2tb Q box I'm going to get Atmos (where available) on the general HD sport and movie channels then I would consider moving to Q

Thanks, i appreciate it's only on one box, but not having a 4k tv I would be upgrading purely for the Atmos. Not something I'll be doing if only available on the 4k content only.

If by having the 2tb Q box I'm going to get Atmos (where available) on the general HD sport and movie channels then I would consider moving to Q
From Sky's statement - "Dolby Atmos will partner UHD visuals".

Thank you. That's annoying!
Yet predictable from Sky, they want as much money as they can get from their customers, which currently is the 2TB Silver package.

They'll eventually do away with the HD boxes altogether.

Sky started to roll out the Atmos update two weeks ago and many 2TB Q boxes already have it enabled.

I don't see the big benefit with football, just crowd noise.

Movies should be the big winner and we should start seeing the box set shows being Atmos enabled. Shows like Game of Thrones already has an Atmos soundtrack.
How can you tell if the Silver box has Atmos enabled? Is it in the Audio settings?

Yet predictable from Sky, they want as much money as they can get from their customers, which currently is the 2TB Silver package.
Whilst I'm not normally happy to part with more cash, I would be tempted if Sky allowed us to have UHD on more than one box! Being limited to just one Silver box is restrictive these days given the relative take-up of 4K TVs.

I'll have Atmos in my dedicated cinema room, but the Silver box is installed in the living room :facepalm:

How can you tell if the Silver box has Atmos enabled? Is it in the Audio settings?

Yes, you will get a Dolby Digital+ Atmos option in the HDMI output settings.

Lee

Whilst I'm not normally happy to part with more cash, I would be tempted if Sky allowed us to have UHD on more than one box! Being limited to just one Silver box is restrictive these days given the relative take-up of 4K TVs.

I'll have Atmos in my dedicated cinema room, but the Silver box is installed in the living room :facepalm:
I agree, it's a shortcoming in what they offer currently. You can't easily buy a new TV that isn't 4K now, eventually almost all TVs will be 4K. So I wonder if this limitation will change over time.

Do you have a PJ or TV in your cinema room? I know where I'd rather have my Atmos set up though ;)

I agree, it's a shortcoming in what they offer currently. You can't easily buy a new TV that isn't 4K now, eventually almost all TVs will be 4K. So I wonder if this limitation will change over time.

Do you have a PJ or TV in your cinema room? I know where I'd rather have my Atmos set up though ;)
Will be a PJ only in the cinema room (picked up a Sony HW40 from the classifieds), and as I'll mostly be watching BD rips for best (non UHD HDR) quality I'll be happy with a non 4K PJ for a while. Once the prices come down though I'll upgrade, so it would be nice to be able to have Sky UHD / Atmos (and HDR/HLG/DV whatever!) in more than one room.

Remember …

you'll get terrible warts all over your face if you subscribe to Sky. You'll also smell funny and wont be able to get rid of the stench no matter how hard you try scrubbing it off.

It in the small print of the terms and conditions :lesson:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom