Dolby Atmos Coming to Netflix on 2017 LG OLEDs

Nice! Although I guess you'll need DD+ on your receiver / soundbar in order to get it via ARC - might limit the audience slightly.

Ah, I had assumed Dolby Atmos couldn't be passed over ARC. Does it get converted or sent in some way via Dolby Digital Plus?

Ah, I had assumed Dolby Atmos couldn't be passed over ARC. Does it get converted or sent in some way via Dolby Digital Plus?
Exactly that, I think. As I understand it, it's not lossless, but it's still Atmos :smashin:

Tbh, I only learned this recently myself! I'd thought HDMI 2.1 would be the only way via ARC, but not so. Which makes sense with this announcement, otherwise what good would Atmos be on a 2017 OLED app?

Yeah, it has been known for a while that it's a Dolby Digital Plus signal since eARC requires HDMI 2.1. What we don't know is whether the same could work on the 2016 sets.

Would this work using app from Samsung or Sony bd player connected to Atmos receiver?

Would this work using app from Samsung or Sony bd player connected to Atmos receiver?
Would what work? I don't see why you'd need ARC at all to connect a blu ray player to a receiver to get Atmos.

As discussed above, DD+ can carry Atmos via ARC - but both your Samsung TV and your receiver / soundbar would need to be compatible with DD+ as well as (presumably) Atmos itself.

Would what work? I don't see why you'd need ARC at all to connect a blu ray player to a receiver to get Atmos.

As discussed above, DD+ can carry Atmos via ARC - but both your Samsung TV and your receiver / soundbar would need to be compatible with DD+ as well as (presumably) Atmos itself.
My LG Oled TV is a 2016...I guess not

Although I now feel like a little piece of me has died inside, I have signed it. I know LG don't promise endless updates, but it really does feel like they completely drop support for their products when the new models come around. With more manufacturers joining the market LG Electronics are no longer guaranteed to get my hard earned, and simply pretending last years models don't exist any more isn't good enough...

Although I now feel like a little piece of me has died inside, I have signed it. I know LG don't promise endless updates, but it really does feel like they completely drop support for their products when the new models come around. With more manufacturers joining the market LG Electronics are no longer guaranteed to get my hard earned, and simply pretending last years models don't exist any more isn't good enough...
Well said

Surely unless your receiver, sound bar etc. support extracting Atmos from a DD+ stream, all you get is DD+ ...?

As adding Dolby Atmos was one of the new features on 2017 sets, even as a 2016 set owner, I'm not sure I'd expect it as an upgrade. HLG yes as it's going to be the broadcast HDR format, but surely using Atmos involves licencing fees?

Surely unless your receiver, sound bar etc. support extracting Atmos from a DD+ stream, all you get is DD+ ...?
Well yes, you need an Atmos capable TV and soundbar/ receiver. But the point is you don't need HDMI 2.1 to get Atmos via ARC:

Dolby Developer

Well yes, you need an Atmos capable TV and soundbar/ receiver. But the point is you don't need HDMI 2.1 to get Atmos via ARC:

Dolby Developer

I think you will, unless you're happy with a compressed version ie: it won't be lossless.

I think you will, unless you're happy with a compressed version ie: it won't be lossless.
I understand that (see post #6) - but Atmos with loss is still likely to be better than most other audio (and I'd have thought it'd almost certainly be better than boring old 5.1).

Guess we need more complete testing to be sure.

Regardless, this is welcome news. Atmos will still be available from standalone players to receivers or soundbars - that hasn't changed. But it's now starting to be made available in some form or other via TV apps, where previously there was no such option.

And I realise this is a vain hope, but there is always the possibility LG could enable full Atmos support via ARC with a firmware update. The bandwidth needed for HDMI 2.1 obviously can't be upgraded, but you don't need 48gbps to do Atmos. There could be selective elements of the 2.1 spec that can be added via firmware that aren't limited so heavily by bandwidth (and Panasonic have previously hinted as much in regard to HFR).

Do you need a 4K tv to get this in atmos or even a HD projector would do as long as connected to Xbox?

So is this all a bit smoke and mirrors?

Netflix won't be using lossless Dolby Audio with Atmos, so it's highly likely that they will just be providing a Dolby Digital Plus stream with embedded Atmos. As the LG 2017 sets will decode Atmos, they will be able to use that information for in theory better sound effects. However, all Netflix and the app are potentially doing is sending the TV a DD+ stream. If that's the case then the 2016 models have DD+ support (it's one of the options for sound format in the menus) and whilst a 2016 TV wouldn't be able to do anything with the Atmos data, it should be able to handle DD+. If it can then also send said DD+ stream via ARC...

AFAIK there isn't another way to get Atmos over ARC at the moment - which you'd have to, in order to get any benefit from the built-in Netflix app on the TV.

So yes, I guess it is a bit smoke and mirrors. What I suspect is that this update is really aimed at the 2018 models, which will have HDMI 2018 and do full lossless Atmos via ARC.

HOWEVER. The Atmos update is still big news if you have an Xbox One S and want to use that for Netflix.

You can send the audio as you would from any other player straight to your receiver or soundbar, and run passthrough to your TV as normal (or get a splitter and send audio to the receiver, video to the TV). Full Atmos, lossless audio. Win.

That's bigger news than the LG OLED update, IMO.

I really can't see Netflix using lossless audio on anything, and therefore I don't think eARC will be relevant at all if you can get Atmos via DD+.

I thought that DD+ isnt sent over ARC on 2016 Oleds just 2017's???

Otherwise 'Okja' on Netflix should come up DVision+Atmos and I dont believe it does. Its currently the only title with Atmos (albeit DD+ version but thats all will likely ever be available....yet still much better than DD 5.1) on Netflix.

Otherwise I would, very, much like an update for a) Atmos over ARC b) HLG for my 65E6. I love my tv but would be gutted if these dont happen:(

Dave;)

What if we stream Netflix through a Chromecast Ultra device? Would that enable Atmos on Okja?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom