DOLBY ATMOS best film to test..

mason1970

Standard Member
Reaction score
Can somebody recommend a film that show's dolby atmos at its best please..just getting a Samsung QT950 for the weekend on demo and want to really push it to its best

well for me i used for my Q950R Venom - it sounds fantasic with my RX V6A AVR - kinder blew my mind yesterday

I think about the only thing to test is the dolby atmos demo.

I cant remember an actual film or programme that has made noticeably good use of atmos. Usually it seems just some ambience (reverb) pushed to the height speakers.

The problem for most is how to get the Atmos demo, the ones on youtube don't work as they're in stereo as are all youtube videos regardless of how they were uploaded.

So unless you can download it and have a compatible device for playback then playing a movie disc is your best bet.

My top picks off the top of my head are the UHD discs of Sicario, John Wick 3 (all of them are good though), Gravity (Bluray, but not all versions have Atmos IIRC), Jumanji (New One), The Matrix (Lobby shootout scene), Pacific Rim.

Loads of demos downloadable here if you have the means to play them 👍

Some films can be a bit underwhelming but think of having a 'bubble' of sound rather it being direct/focused.

Pre-lock down some of my fav Atmos moments where from the footie on sky.

Some films can be a bit underwhelming but think of having a 'bubble' of sound rather it being direct/focused.

And some movies that don't have an actual Atmos track on them can sound awesome when you upmix them using Dolby Surround or Neural-X

Pacific Rim!!

Unbroken
Its atmos is awesome on the blu ray
Got it for 7 quid off amazon last week and its probably one of the best examples of atmos

The beginning of Apocalypse Now

Thanks for all your input and im going to be using 4k panasonic DP-UB820 to playback the suggested titles

Thanks for all your input and im going to be using 4k panasonic DP-UB820 to playback the suggested titles
can I ask, how do you find the 4K panasonic player as I am looking at that to be my next purchase on my 4K upgrade of my home cinema system ?

can I ask, how do you find the 4K panasonic player as I am looking at that to be my next purchase on my 4K upgrade of my home cinema system ?
outstanding the upscaling if different class to anything else i looked at and the user interface is childs play defiantly recommend but they are in short supply i know john lewis have a batch

outstanding the upscaling if different class to anything else i looked at and the user interface is childs play defiantly recommend but they are in short supply i know john lewis have a batch
Thanks for your findings, i was 90% sure but there is no better info than by a user.
Thanks 👍i am 100% now will also look at john lewis 👍

Thanks for your findings, i was 90% sure but there is no better info than by a user.
Thanks 👍i am 100% now will also look at john lewis 👍
If your in no hurry ring richer sounds telesales they do some great deal ask for the 4k player with a 6 yr warranty on top i got a ambeo soundbar for £1700 (on site £2199) from telesales

Interestingly enough.

I use cinema paradiso to rent to movie disks.

Normally I would rent movies I know I will or should like. Therefore when I am 'engrossed' in something I'm not normally fully taking in picture or sound quality.

However, due to a lack of new releases I have chosen a few movies purely based on reviews of picture and/or sound quality.

A good example is Godzilla : king of the monsters.

Non sensical as a movie where I wasn't really caring what was going on. That gave me the chance to focus on picture quality and the sound which in its own right made it an enjoyable and care free experience 👍

Can somebody recommend a film that show's dolby atmos at its best please..just getting a Samsung QT950 for the weekend on demo and want to really push it to its best
I can thoroughly recommend anything on the soundtrack of 2001 A Space Odyssey, especially anything by Strauss brothers, including Also sprach Zarathustra and The Blue Danube.

I recently watched Edge Of Tomorrow and was very impressed by the sound mix, the overhead effects were excellent.

I recently watched Edge Of Tomorrow and was very impressed by the sound mix, the overhead effects were excellent.

How did you watch it in Atmos as AFAIK it's not had an Atmos release on streaming or Bluray.

I watched it recently on Bluray and using Dolby Surround the upmixing was excellent.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom