Dolby atmos 7.1.4 film support

craigdamien1979

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi, i need some advice on my home cinema setup, i have a 9 channel yamaha atmos receiver powering the 4 dolby atmos height speakers, surround left, surround right, surround back left an surround back right as well as the center an sub, i am then using the preout to power another amp for the front left an right speakers. The tv is lg oled an i use netflix to watch movies cos it seems to be the only format with atmos support. Unfort not all the surround channels are used, most of the time the surround back left an right channels are not supported by any films i have found so far? Is this down the limited caperbilities of netflix? If i play a blueray on the xbox, will more surround chanels be supported? An what films support a 7.1.4 format

You will have to search out movies which support the format you are after and then confirm your playback device and streaming platform supports that version of the movie.

Most AVR’s will allow you to ‘upmix’ if you want to engage all of your loudspeaker channels.

Joe

How is it best to search the format i need an what would you recommend the best platform? My AVR is a Yamaha RX-A3060, ive set it up according to yamahas website, however the dolby setup speaker guide is slightly different, you‘re help an advice is much appreciated, thank tou

BDP - discs and sites selling the discs ought to list which format any disc supports.

Streaming services - you will have to dig a little to find which service suits you best and which formats it supports.

Streaming platform/devices - once you select a service you then have to confirm which hardware offers the streams you require.

It can be far from straightforward and some folk end up with multiple streaming devices and services as you can run into commercial arrangements between studios and streaming platforms if you want access to a wide range of movies.

I use ATV 4K with a mix of services - my LG TV, Panasonic BDP And PS4 can also stream but I find them less user friendly.

Plenty of discussions around streaming services and platforms here on AVF - Video Streaming Boxes & Services

Joe

Have found amazon cant be searched by dolby atmos, whereas netflix does offer this search facility, are blue ray discs generally better for dolby atmos support?

Bluray, not really, few blurays support Atmos as they want you to buy the UHD, which more often, but not always does have Atmos or DTS:X

Have found amazon cant be searched by dolby atmos, whereas netflix does offer this search facility, are blue ray discs generally better for dolby atmos support?
Most streaming services use the lossy Dolby Digital Plus to carry the Atmos metadata. A blu ray disc will carry full HD quality Atmos within the Dolby TrueHD metadata. Look for the Atmos logo on the disc covers. There are plenty of titles that carry the Atmos or DTS:X soundtrack on BR disc. One of the best and can be found for a few quid is A Quiet Place along with Everest.

If you have a lot of discs with a DTS HD MA soundtrack then engage DTS Neural:X for the DSP menu and that will bring all your Atmos speakers into play and can be very effective on base 5.1/7.1 DTS soundtracks.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom