Question Dolby Atmos 5.1.2 ceiling speaker placement

bp2411

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I decided to add 2 KEF Ci50r speakers to my 5.1 set up (Denon AVR-2300W & Jamo A102 speakers) but I'm having trouble finding a definitive answer about the placement for them. Do they go in line with the Surround L&R speakers and slightly in front of the main listening position? Or do they come in slightly from the surrounds?

Thanks!

Hello everyone, I decided to add 2 KEF Ci50r speakers to my 5.1 set up (Denon AVR-2300W & Jamo A102 speakers) but I'm having trouble finding a definitive answer about the placement for them. Do they go in line with the Surround L&R speakers and slightly in front of the main listening position? Or do they come in slightly from the surrounds?

Thanks!

Hopefully this helps!

Attachments

• 1000-SS_5-1-2_Combo-Atmos-01.jpg
    1000-SS_5-1-2_Combo-Atmos-01.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 9,481
Thanks for the reply, I actually installed them Thursday exactly how they are in that picture, which is reassuring lol

How are you finding them? I've got the same receiver and sub/sat setup and am considering adding the Ci50Rs for Atmos.

Sorry I totally forgot to reply to you! I'll be honest... I haven't actually used them yet lol I had to have them but once they were in and tested I've only watched a handful of films, none of which had Atmos soundtracks. However when I first set them up and tested a few Atmos films (San Andreas is the only 1 I remember at the moment) they sounded surprisingly effective and it made the sound more immersive which surprised me for such a small size, I picked the speakers up for around ÂŁ50 for the pair iirc and even at RRP of ÂŁ50 each I'd recommend them.

Must admit I'm mostly looking at installing now while we're decorating to future-proof my set-up, rather than any ability to playback stuff now (although I'm sure I'd end up trying out the upmixing settings) - I don't think there's anything in my Blu-Ray collection with an Atmos audio track (and I'm loathe to start buying films I'm not interested in watching just to sit there trying to listen out for use of the ceiling speakers)

That was a good deal getting a pair for ÂŁ50. I keep seeing the brass bezel ones for ÂŁ35 each on ebay but that's no good to me with the brushed steel on my down lights...

Yeah eBay is flooded with brass ones, I was about to order them for ÂŁ50 each but tried eBay one last time luckily. Definitely do it now when you have chance or at least run the wires and put a small mark on your ceiling where you know there's space to install them.

Well as its going to be me installing them, and I'm not exactly Mr Handyman, I figure if I do it now then at least if I make a bodge of the ceiling I can get the plasterer to rectify it when they come to do the room, rather than potentially having to get someone out at a later date

Main issue at the moment is where I'm routing the cable as I'd rather not have any more chases cut. I do have a route in mind but could do with getting some boards up in the bedroom to check. A task somewhat complicated by the amount of stuff I'd need to shift out of the way

When I done mine I had to lift the floor in my bedroom and my son's bedroom but luckily when I replaced all the upstairs floor a few years back I started each room with a 2 foot piece so I just moved my son's wardrobe and bed and my chest of drawers pulled the carpet up and lifted the "inspection pieces" up, then I measured downstairs where I wanted my speakers, poked a long thin screwdriver through the ceiling and looked under the floor upstairs to make sure I was clear of joists, wires, pipes etc then I put a hole saw in my drill and minutes later they were in.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom