Quantcast

Question Dolby Atmos 4K Blu Ray player

malph

Standard Member
We've just treated ourselves to a 55" Panasonic GZ2000 OLED TV. It has excellent, on-board, Dolby Atmos speakers and Atmos decoder, as part of the TV...Okay, it's not total Amos with separate rear speakers, but the TV's upward firing speakers give a good effect.
We're looking to upgrade our Blu Ray player to make best use of the TVs capabilities. My question is, which type of 4k Blu Ray player will be compatible with a TV that has on-board Atmos? Full Atmos players tend to be very expensive but will definitely work with the GZ2000, but Atmos compatible players seem to have 2x HDMI outputs, one for video and one for audio via Bitstream, which allows the Atmos signal to pass through the player and decoded by an AV receiver. Will this twin HDMI set up work where the TV is essentially the AV receiver, ie, using 2 HDMI inputs from the player to 2 different HDMI ports on the TV? I've not been able to find the answer on the net....so here I am.

Samv0808

Distinguished Member
We've just treated ourselves to a 55" Panasonic GZ2000 OLED TV. It has excellent, on-board, Dolby Atmos speakers and Atmos decoder, as part of the TV...Okay, it's not total Amos with separate rear speakers, but the TV's upward firing speakers give a good effect.
We're looking to upgrade our Blu Ray player to make best use of the TVs capabilities. My question is, which type of 4k Blu Ray player will be compatible with a TV that has on-board Atmos? Full Atmos players tend to be very expensive but will definitely work with the GZ2000, but Atmos compatible players seem to have 2x HDMI outputs, one for video and one for audio via Bitstream, which allows the Atmos signal to pass through the player and decoded by an AV receiver. Will this twin HDMI set up work where the TV is essentially the AV receiver, ie, using 2 HDMI inputs from the player to 2 different HDMI ports on the TV? I've not been able to find the answer on the net....so here I am.
The way mine works (and I am pretty sure all do) is that you would only connect the main HDMI output to the TV. This will pass ATMOS and the picture all in one.

The second HDMI out is if you want to send the picture to the TV and the sound to an alternative like an AMP or Soundbar that will do ATMOS. So you would connect one to the TV and one to the other device.
So basically go primary out HDMI from the UHD player to a HDMI input on the TV. One port. One cable. Picture and AtMOs.

Sit back and enjoy.

edit: And congrats on the GZ2000. Great choice👍👍

malph

Standard Member
Thanks Sam. That widens my choices. And yes, the GZ200 is a pretty awesome tv. Replaced a 12 year old Panny Plasma. Didn't realise how grey the blacks were until I saw the GZ2000 in action!

Distinguished Member
All blu-ray players (regular and UHD) will pass through Atmos to a sound system. You only need to enable bitstream output and disable secondary audio.

malph

Standard Member
Thanks 494930. Just trying John Wick 3 in my old, "cheapy" Panny Blu Ray player, and yes, Atmos is coming through the TV speakers with your setting advice. Many thanks. I'll stick with my current Bu Ray player for now until 4K discs start to drop in price. Still prefer a disc to streaming for audio and visual.

gibbsy

All you have to do with any blu ray player, old or new, is to set it to bitstream and you will get Atmos. If your soundbar has the ability to upmix to Dolby Surround or DTS Neural then it will breathe new life into those discs that don't have an Atmos soundtrack as well as broadcast TV.

I don't know if soundbars have that ability as I've never owned one.

Top Bottom