1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dolby and Onkyo admit to DD5.1 Problems with certain DVDs - affects other receivers?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by loz, Jan 8, 2002.

Tags:
  1. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,786
    There have been a couple of threads on uk.media.dvd recently regarding DD5.1 faults with Peal Harbour and Onkyo 595 receivers.

Looking at Dolby customer advice
    (click on 'Problem with DD5.1
    soundtrack on certain new DVDs'), they say "Dolby, in cooperation with its customers and partners, has traced the issue
    to consumer equipment that misinterprets information found on some recently produced DVDs and digital broadcasts.
    Dolby and its partners are currently working with the content industry to disable the new features in these movies and
    broadcasts that trigger these problems. In conjunction with this effort, we are working with the manufacturers of the
    affected products to identify potential consumer solutions."

Apparently Denon 1802, 2820, etc users could have a similar problem.
    Dobly also say "It has come to our attention that a limited number of consumer electronics products equipped with Dolby
    Digital decoders-primarily A/V receivers-experience audio muting or dropout problems with some new DVD and/or digital
    television content.", - which indicates it not just a Onkyo problem

Looking at Onkyo News , they lay the blame on the software.
    Quote "Based on our exhaustive testing and after consulting with Dolby Laboratories it is our opinion that the problem
    is related to the audio encoding software that was used to master the DVDs in question and that the problem is
    ultimately a software problem"

They also say JP3 has this problem too. However, they also say "we have been informed by Dolby Laboratories that other
    soon to be released DVDs may exhibit a similar problem"

However, having a Onkyo 595 I cant say I noticed this problem with Pearl Harbour (region 2). I have a Philips DVD
    player.

Questions
    1. Anyone else with a 595 who didn't have the PH problem? Region 1 or 2?
    1.a . What DVD player were you using? Perhaps there is something to do with combinations of player and reciever
    producing the problem
    1.b How are you connecting - Coax or optical
    2. Anyone had the same problem with JP3?
    3. Anyone with other equipment having the problem (Denon?)

If this looks like becoming commonplace I would like to get it changed whilst it is still under guarantee.
    Having lived through the problems of having my DVD not play Gladiator and other discs and getting it changed, it would
    be useful to be able to identify if it is an Onkyo only problem, a problem with other receivers (which I should
    therefore ignore when getting my Onkyo changed), or a software problem - which means I should try to get the disks
    replaced.

Or is likely that Dolby with fix the problem at source, and hence the problem will be short lived? I dont want to panic
    over nothing Mr Manwaring!

regards
    loz

2. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Buy upgradable equipment... Otherwise there will always be problems like these...

3. bobling

bobling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1. Bought my Onkyo 595 last year and was very pleased....till I had the problem with Pearl Harbour (which I returned as faulty to Amazon). I never realised this problem existed until just now when I read your thread.

1.a.Pioneer DV 737
    1.b.Coaxial

2. JP3 is currently in the post (Region 1 DVD) - will let you know

3. n/a

I now worry that this could be a persistent problem, even though PH is the only incident thus far; and also whether this would be sufficient reason to return the receiver to Hifijunkies.

4. Jim Robson

Jim Robson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Originally from the wonderful Granite City, Aberde
    Ratings:
    +1
    I don't know if I have been afflicted or not but, I borrowed a (once watched) copy of Pearl Harbor (R2) which went all peculiar when Ben Affleck was burning her letters on the beach. I have never had a probelm with a DVD before so perhaps it's related? I re-tried the same portion of the chapter and it did manage to play it with difficulty but at least it didn't jump back a few chapters like the first time. It was touch and go, though. The rest of the film seems fine and I thought it was excellent. Perhaps it was a faulty disc(?) but I've given it back anyway.

I have a Sony 725 DVD player connected via IXOS 105 to a Denon AVC-A1SE amp.

Regards

Jim :confused:

PS If you haven't seen it yet (anyone, anywhere??) you'll need to buy a large box of Kleenex!:devil:

5. mij

mij

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +795
    Hi, I have not been able to get any sound from Pearl harbour on my system, and have discovered from various forums that I am not alone, below is a copy of the e-mail I sent to Denon.

Dear sir,

Below is a copy of a problem I posted on the net, regarding problems playing the film Pearl Harbour.

"I recently rented the Pearl Harbour DVD from Blockbuster, the disk works fine right up to the start of the actual film, when suddenly the Dolby Digital Sound disappears, I tried a replacement disk and found the same problem.
    I have a Mico DVD A980 player and a Denon 1602 amp, and have never had a problem with any film prior to this or since (Region 1 & 2 and Superbit in either 5.1 or DTS all work ok) and wondered if anyone had a reason or solution as to why this happened."

A reply to my post, told me to read this link: http://dolby.custhelp.com/cgibin/dolby.cfg/php/enduser/std_alp.php
    (click on 'Problem with DD5.1 soundtrack on certain new DVDs' )

Since reading this link, I have found that many others are having the same problem, and it is not only Denon but other manufactures as well (Onkyo 595 receivers being one)

What I would like to know is, are you aware of the problem, have you a solution, will I need to replace the amp, and is this fault covered by the warranty.

Hopefully I will get a reply.
    mij

6. gtfc

gtfc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Same prob for me, the lead in is OK as soon as the film starts I get a stuttering broken soundtrack.

Using a Sony NS300
    Kenwood KRFX 9050 (THX)

Whether by coincidence or not this is the first THX film I've played.

(Back to Blockbuster For me money back )

Regards

John

7. MarkB

MarkB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Because this problem seems to affect different A/V manufacturers, it seems that Onkyo were correct in laying the blame on the Dolby encoding process.

8. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,786
    Just to add that I rented JP 3 last night, which Dolby and Onkyo said was another problem disk.
    Pleased to say I had no problems.

So, both disks identified as presenting a problem - Pearl Harbour and JP3 - have both been perfect for me.

There must be something beside just the Onkyo amp that is causing the problem for some people.

loz