dolby 5.1 sound

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by lfcevans, Sep 16, 2007.

1. lfcevans

lfcevans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It`s a bit long winded, but bare with me.

I`v just bought a samsung R88 TV and obviously the sound isnt as good as my old CRT JVC surround sound TV. The old JVC had a built in sub woofer that sat on the top of the TV hidden from view and I had connected 2 rear satelite speakers to the back of the TV for the surround sound. I was happy with that, and didnt even think about the sound quality when I bought the Samsung TV . We used to have a "home Cinema DVD system" and that was even better sound than the JVC, but the DVD player decided to pick and choose which DVD`s it wanted to play and it only gave out Stereo when anything else was fed through it ( the decoder was built into the Player so all the speakers and sub connected to that)
    What I`m after then is some ideas on what to do...I want the 5.1 sound and also 2 wireless rear speakers(mrs has a complex about wires) so what do I need to get so I can have 5.1 or surround sound from the TV while watching the DVD and sky.....I dont want to pay hundreds to get this, are there any cheaper options

thanks in advance for any replies

2. Dankeech

Dankeech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    Hi Lfcevans,
    Not at a budget price you're going to want to hear, but I'd suggest you consider something like the Yamaha YSP900B Sound Projector. It ticks all the boxes, saves you wires going to any rear speakers too. Bass is ok, but not fantastic but should be a significant improvement over the quality of your in-built speakers.

With wireless speakers you're going to be needing to either replace batteries often in them or run power to them anyway, there's no magical wire-free hassle-free solution I'm afraid.

Have you considered going 2.1 rather than 5.1 by the way?

Dan.

3. lfcevans

lfcevans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    2.1 isnt something I considered no.

I thought the 5.1 was really good because of the "surround sound" effect...great for footy and films. When I had my old Home cinema DVD player, that only gave out 2.1 and wasnt anywhere near as good as the 5.1 it did on DVD`s, It was only using small speakers though because the 5 speakers were the same size (the mrs preference because they were unobtrusive) but the sub was a decent size.

I`ve had a look at the "sound projector" in your link, and it does tick all the boxes, except one.....the cost

Thanks for the reply by the way