dolby 5.1 - rubbish in rubbish out?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by qwert-e, Sep 17, 2007.

1. qwert-e

qwert-e

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Like most people in this forum i'm into high quality audio and dont mind spending a bit of cash on getting great quality. The problem is, I'm starting to think this is all a bit of a waste considering how poor the quality is on on the source material - the Dolby 5.1 soundtrack on a DVD.

The maximum bit rate these are encoded at (in mpeg2) is 448 kbps for all 6 channels. This is basically equivalent quality to a 128 kbps stereo mp3 file. Which is far far from CD quality. So by getting a great dvd player / amp / speakers we're essentially still limited by the poor quality of the source material. I realise the next gen formats sort this problem out with higher bit rates, but with the current gen, have we been shining a turd?

2. druidvideo

druidvideo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
  3. Praxidike

Praxidike
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    I watched a film (it was X-Men 2) with DTS for the first time the other day and was really amazed! I'd read reviews saying there wasn't a great deal of difference, but there definitely was, it was brilliant.

4. qwert-e

qwert-e

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    sure DTS does have a much higher bitrate as well, but most dvds i've watched dont have a DTS soundtrack.

5. Sonic67

Sonic67
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25,467
    MP3 is Mpeg 1 - Layer 3. An old sound compression system. You can't really directly compare them.

6. qwert-e

qwert-e

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    yes MP3 is old, but DD is about the same age! And its possible to compare - encode a song in mp3 and encode it in DD 2.0 and listen! And of course you can also compare DD with DTS, the poor quality of DD is obvious in difficult parts of the soundtrack (eg sound fx, songs).

ignore that part i said about DD using mpeg2 though... i think thats incorrect ;)