Dolby 5.1 on FTA sat channels?

Nimby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi

Is Dolby 5.1 sound a common feature on English language FTA sat channels?

I've been browsing but must be using the wrong search terms.

Is there a list hiding online somewhere please?

Thanks

Nimby

As far as I know only some Sky movie channels and possibly the Disney Channel broadcast some of their content in 5.1. Also, the only way to enjoy the 5.1 content is to have a Sky+ receiver as this has an audio optical output for your 5.1 decoder.

That's a bit disappointing.

BTW: I was under the impression that the digital coaxial socket (S/PDIF) was Dolby capable? :confused:

My Nokia 9800s manual mentions Dolby surround via this socket. :)

Thanks

Nimby

Not sure regarding your Nokia but from all I have read Sky only support 5.1 via their Sky+ box. It is possible that the digital coaxial socket might theoretically have had the capacity but that Sky chose to never implement it?

Nokia of course do not make any Dsat hardware that works with SKYs subscription channels so the movies are out of the question:)

There are no FTA standard definition Dsat channels aimed at the UK (that I am aware of) that use DD audio however there are a number of German/Austrian channels that do so but they will be found over at 19.2 degrees or maybe Hotbird.

Nimby said:
That's a bit disappointing.

BTW: I was under the impression that the digital coaxial socket (S/PDIF) was Dolby capable? :confused:

My Nokia 9800s manual mentions Dolby surround via this socket. :)

Thanks

Nimby
If those are the words they use they'll be talking about the non-digital earlier version of Dolby surround which synthesises surround sound from a stereo source and can be produced by a suitable amplifier.

Simon

It actually says: "If available you can connect the DIGITAL AUDIO socket on the Mediamaster to your Hifi or Dolby Pro Logic system."

By which I presume we are talking about an out-of-date standard for digital audio surround sound. Now superseded by Dolby 5.1 etc.

Searching the manual produces no other information that I can find other than "S/PDIF DIGITAL AUIDIO socket".

I have a black "Digital Audio In" phono socket on my E800 and just thought I could easily get surround out of my satellite receiver. I'm trying to avoid the German channels. Even the English language films are dubbed into German.

My NAD T533 DVDP also has a black "Digital Audio" phono socket. Though I'm actually using the "6-Channel Out" connections.

All these sockets and standards are all rather new to me as I've been a rather simple analogue stereo type until very recently. :D

Perhaps I should do evening classes in Surround Sound Connectivity? ;)

Thanks again
Nimby

The only boxes which are able to output DD are the Sky+ boxes. A number of other boxes had a 'digital' connection when manufactures modified an existing set top box they were producing for another broadcaster to accept Sky (and allegidly some introduced the socket to try and become a prefered supplier) however these sockets were never able to actually output dobly digital.

It may be possible to use the connection to go to your AV receiver rather than using the 2 phono connection but you will only be receiving stereo/prologic information and therefore your amp would have to 'create' the rear channels using Prologic II or equivilant.

Nimby said:
It actually says: "If available you can connect the DIGITAL AUDIO socket on the Mediamaster to your Hifi or Dolby Pro Logic system."

By which I presume we are talking about an out-of-date standard for digital audio surround sound. Now superseded by Dolby 5.1 etc.

Dolby Surround is two-channel analogue sound which has components of the signal recorded out of phase and which can be decoded into 5 audio channels by an amplifier which incorporated Dolby Surround (also called "pro Logic") decoding.

Dolby digital is a digital bitstream which can be decoded into 5 discrete audio channels using an amplifer which incorporates a Dolby Digital decoder.

Both types of signal can be relayed over a SP/DIF interface.

Just to be pedantic :D :D
Dolby Surround is two-channel analogue sound which has components of the signal recorded out of phase and which can be decoded into 5 audio channels by an amplifier which incorporated Dolby Surround (also called "pro Logic") decoding.

Dolby digital is a digital bitstream which can be decoded into 5 discrete audio channels using an amplifer which incorporates a Dolby Digital decoder.
Isn't quite right, dolby digital can be mono, 2 channel etc .....

Dolby® Digital
Delivers mono, stereo, or up to 5.1 discrete channels of surround sound: Left, Center, Right, Left Surround, Right Surround, and low-frequency effects (LFE).
Dolby Surround
The original Dolby multichannel analog film sound format that revolutionized movie soundtracks. This technology encodes four channels of audio (Left/Center/Right/Mono Surround) onto just two audio tracks for media such as TV broadcasts and feature films on VHS. Material encoded in Dolby Surround is fully compatible for playback on mono and stereo systems, and upon playback on systems containing Dolby Pro Logic® technology, the audio is reconstructed to its original four-channel surround sound.
Dolby Digital EX
Creates a rich surround-sound home theater experience by adding a sixth channel (Center Back) to Dolby Digital Surround EX™-encoded content for enhanced localization of surround effects.
Dolby Pro Logic II
Transforms any high-quality two-channel source into five independent full-range channels: Left, Center, Right, Left Surround, and Right Surround. Brings new life to playback of CDs, MP3s, and other stereo content including surround encoded broadcast/VHS.
Dolby Pro Logic IIx
Delivers the most natural, seamless 6.1- or 7.1-channel listening experience. Processes any high-quality stereo, 5.1, or Dolby Digital Surround EX–encoded content into 6.1 or 7.1 playback channels, depending on speaker configuration: Left, Center, Right, Left Surround, Left Back, Right Surround, Right Back, and subwoofer.

Dolby Digital Surround Pro Logic IIIII XXXXX
Format whose name and logo won't fit on the front of your newest amp ;) Just kidding!

Cheers
Kevin.

KW1816 said:
Just to be pedantic :D :D

I was trying to keep it simple :dd:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom