1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dolbt Digital

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by retriever, Jul 1, 2002.

1. retriever

retriever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have finally decided to put my hand in my pocket and buy a Dolby Digital surround system after putting it off for the last few years. I am going to demo the Denon 3802 and either the B&W or M&K series speakers (any other suggestions would be welcome, I have approx £2500 to spend). One of the problems I have, is that I work shifts and live in a small block of flats, so coming in from work in the early hour of the morning to play the latest all action blockbuster is not exactly neigbour friendly. I would like to know if any one has got an Amp with Dolby Digital Headphone socket and what are they like, I know that they will not sound the same as going throu the proper speakers but it would at least would allow me to watch a DVD without upsetting the people next door

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
    Hi

Whilst most amps/receivers have a headphone socket the only amps with Dolby Headphone technology are the Denon A1SR and the upgraded Denon A1SE. You can either listen in stereo or use the Pro-Logic 2 decoder and get a "surround effect" its okay but nothing like running through the speakers.

Most amps also have Dynamic Range Compression (normally OFF, Low, Mid, High) which limits the dynamic range between the quietest effects and the loudest effects enabling you to watch films at night and not annoy the neighbours. This only works with Dolby Digital tracks not DTS or if you use THX processing. Other amps have a midnight mode which does the same thing.

Hope this helps

cheers

3. retriever

retriever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Jase, most usefull

4. Stewart C

Stewart C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think I can recall from the most recent HCC review of the Denon beast that the headphone socket/performance was what they liked least about the Amplifier.

Regards