DoJ Probing BluRay

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
The Wall Street Journal has reported that the US Department Of Justice is to investigate members of the BluRay group (Philips, Sony and Matsu****a[Panasonic]) for impeding technical progress on the 'official' HD-DVD format backed by Toshiba and NEC and now approved by the DVD Forum.

It'll be interesting to see the outcome - but with so many HD-DVD formats either launching or about to launch the DoJ are unlikely to stop the HD market following DVDR and becoming a scramble for royalties IMHO.

KraGorn

Novice Member
Sadly yet another VHS/Betamax period of incompatibility and consumer doubt as to which road to take. :(

Where are we headed, will we have to buy equipment at vast cost that supports SACD/DVD-A/BluRay/HD-DVD/WM9-HD etc. etc. etc.? :mad:

Matsu****a
Don't you love the brain-dead expletive filter on here. :D

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
Where are we headed, will we have to buy equipment at vast cost that supports SACD/DVD-A/BluRay/HD-DVD/WM9-HD etc. etc. etc.?
Without a doubt. Despite much talk of convergence the reality is the major producers are doing the opposite - pushing their own formats regardless.

Party Animal

Only format I yearn for is Hi Def
once seen never forgotten... suppose we can all dream -- I know the new HI Def Euro channel is now on, but its price/content is not upto scratch yet

Rant Over

KraGorn

Novice Member
Originally posted by Party Animal
Only format I yearn for is Hi Def
Um, which flavour? ... HD-DVD or BluRay or WM9-HD, they're all incompatible. That's the point here, there's no such thing as 'hi-def' when in comes to the encoded media, there are several warring factions.

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom