1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Doing Something Amazing...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by eviljohn2, Jul 5, 2005.

1. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Giving Blood

How many forum members donate blood and for those of you who don't - why do you choose not to? :)

I've just got back from my 3rd ever donation and wish I'd started going at a younger age although I would have done more if it wasn't for the disgusting way that the NUS refuse to acknowledge the NBS.

2. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +984
    Did it a few times then didn't. Actually it was because I moved house that I stopped.

3. mrtbag

mrtbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +395
    I fill my pants at the sight of a needle. Always wanted to give blood, just never had the balls to go. My work organise regular outings to give blood, and each time I bottle it. :blush:

4. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,967
    I used to give blood.

However as a diabetic on medication I'm no longer allowed to.

Which is a shame. With my elevated blood sugar levels, I always thought that my blood would be good for someone that is ill. A good old energy boost from all that extra blood glucose.... :D

5. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,464
    They weren't interested in my blood while living in Ireland, due to the BSE problem. Not had time since i've been back in the UK.

6. Mr.The.Spoon

Mr.The.Spoon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    How do you find out where you can give blood.
    Like mrtbag I hate needles but want to see if I've grown up enough to withstand one (or if I'll run out screaming like a little girl).

7. Solomon Grundy

Solomon Grundy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,588
    I wasn't able to due to tattoos...but that was a few years ago.

8. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    Used to go along with work colleagues. After an illness I was no longer allowed to give blood for a while and fell out of the habit. Should really start again.

I just hate that finger needle, brings back bad memories...... :rolleyes:

9. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I'm on 6 now - started doing it around 2 years ago :)

My mother was diagnosed with Leukaemia shortly before and it really opened my eyes to the need for people to donate. I hate needles ("blood" needles in particular) but considered that it was about time I put my fears aside. In reality you barely feel a thing.

The feeling afterwards is well worth the 10 minutes of uncomfortableness to anyone thinking of doing it :)

Mr.The.Spoon - check out the Blood donation website here for details on donating. There are a series of questions you can go through to see whether you're eligible or not...

K.

10. chard

chard
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    guilty......never given blood and would really like too. They are coming round our village later in the week, thanks for the reminder, I will try to get along. :)

11. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I think the most painful bit is the finger test to start with which takes less than a second but remains uncomfortable for a few hours afterwards. I had a good nurse today though and couldn't feel a thing during and afterwards.

The actual giving bit is a bit nerve-racking the first time but really nothing to worry about - just a small scratching feeling as the needle goes in but that's it.

Quoting from the NBS website:
    And most people don't feel a thing. Apart from a terrific sense of well-being that they've helped save a life, that is.
    This is really very true and not only do you feel like you're saving someone else, it's good for you too as it helps cycle your own blood plus you get tested for all sorts of things without having to put any effort in.

If you're worried - be brave and go. If you hate it then don't go back but at least say you've tried.
    If you havn't been lately then make the time to help yourself and others.
    :)

12. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I do blood and carry a bone marrow card as well.
    When I was in the army, there were only 7 of us with the same blood group in a battalion of 800 men. We had to give a pint a month each for 4 months before any scheduled operational tour. This was kept in the medical centre and taken away with us. If we came back and it hadn't been used, it was given over to the blood service...

I believe that most blood dosen't last longer than 3 days. That's not because it goes off...it's because it's used within that time.

13. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Something i've never done and really should have by now.

14. t-force

t-force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    I do as often as I can. I'm very close to a proper blood donor centre, where they can do platelet donation as well. I offered to donate platelets, but I don't have enough to give away (though my levels are fine for myself). I recently got put on their marrow register as well. Whenever I go, they book me in for another appointment then and there, so I've always got my next session marked out.

It is a frighteningly low number of people who donate blood. Something like 2-3%. I know that at least 5% of the population can't, because they're gay men (which is not something I entirely agree with, as HIV is just as prevalent in straight people), and probably another 10% may have medical or religious/ethical reasons for not going, but the rest? what's their excuse? Not all of them can be needle-phobic can they? And no offence to anyone who is - heck if giving blood involved spiders, then there's no way I'd go anywhere near!!

15. mrmcdean

mrmcdean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I made the mistake of not eating or drinking before donating for the first time ......

Oh My God !! id donated the required amount in a matter of a couple of minutes, passed out, off work for a day not had the courage to donate since. I keep meaning to but I cant get the memory out of my head.

My mothers an ex nurse and couldnt believe that I drained sooooo quickly, not sure if thats good or bad :(

16. t-force

t-force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    My other half went to donate about 18 months ago, but then passed out about half an hour after she left, and collapsed in the middle of the road, whacking her head on the pavement in the process. She has been since, and nearly passed out then - luckily the nurses saw she was going, and got her lying down very quickly. Amazingly, she still wants to go!

17. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I've never had any trouble with passing out - I usually hang around for 5 minutes, have some squash and then go home and get drunk. :blush:

18. smelly

smelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    I donate, although not as frequently as I should do. I've got an uncommon blood group (got antibodies as well so I have to carry a card for some reason :confused: ). Not my most favourite pastime I've got to admit - it always seems to take so long!!

Like the biscuits afterwards though :D

19. Shady

Shady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Every 6 months the bloodmobile comes to our workplace (2 collecting buses), which are both full to the brim with donors every time - in fact you have to get in quick if you want to donate.

I have now given blood 6 times, and only started when my colleagues conned me into doing it. I kept putting it off whenever they asked me and, the day before, I made the excuse that it would be too late to donate. One of the girls then said that, as she had just found that she was pregnant, she could not donate and that I could have her place.

I couldn't get out of it this time so went along - it was nowhere near as bad as I suspected, not at all - in fact quite enjoyable (apart from the pin prick test) - followed by a great feeling of a job well done, something worthwhile...

I would definetly recommend giving blood - even if you are conned into it, you'll never know when you may need it...

20. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    Does it have to be your own or can you donate anyone's ?

21. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    I hate needles - to the point of feeling faint if I think about it too much - but last year my mother suffered internal bleeding and only survived because of all the people that give blood. At that point it hit home that I was being a big pussy in not giving blood myself so I went along at work.

Unfortunately, my blood pressure dropped too much before they got a pint out so they had to stop. I went again the next month, and made sure I'd eaten before hand, but still the same problem. They told me not to come back again :(

Liam

22. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
  23. Mr.The.Spoon

Mr.The.Spoon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Well found somewhere near me on the 12th July. When going through the questions, the only one that got me was "Have you ever stayed outside of the UK for a continuos period of more than 6 months"
    I'll just have to check with them when I go.

Only feeling a bit nervous right now....

24. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    You'll be fine - trust me :smashin:

With regards to being out of the country for over 6 months, I think you'll find you'll be ok provided the country you were in doesn't fall into one of the high risk categories for blood disease. I too lived outside of the UK for over 6 months (Australia/New Zealand) and they barely said a word :)

25. Mr.The.Spoon

Mr.The.Spoon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Well I was born in South Africa and lived there for 2 and a half years but I moved away back in 1980. That long ago, if I had something it would've turned up in routine blood tests over the years I guess. Plus I've lived in the US for a few years but doubt that'll be a problem, it wasn't in a red neck area :) )

26. sbowler

sbowler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +487
    yes been done it 19 times now a few dizzy fits but we all have to do our bit

27. LDR

LDR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    Ive often thought about it over the last few years, and finally got round to giving my first donation November last year, and recently got a letter to go again for my second donation which I did. Quite suprised that they recommend only once every sixteen weeks though..I'd be quite happy to do it once a week if it were up to me.

The last time I was there and having my glass of squash & biscuit afterwards, they brought another lady over to sit next to me..next thing she went down like a sack of *****, they were rushing round with fans and cold flannels for her neck and all sorts cos she was feeling faint & flustered and hot and sweaty..and then she announced that she hadn't eat anything all day that day.. I mean come on..how dull can you be. Really brightened my day up that did. :devil:

28. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I can't give blood - my job carries a high hepatitis risk :thumbsdow

29. Andy Leitch

Andy Leitch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    I can't give blood either - there are special rules for lorry drivers, I think it's no driving for 72 hours after giving blood or something like that....so even if I donated on Friday after work...I still wouldn't be clear on Monday. :thumbsdow

30. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,462
    MOD Comment Two post removed, one by Games Guru and one by Nick UK. One a wind up and one backlash.

Lets not have a recurrence of it. :lesson:

Nick UK has give a very valued reason for his post i.e. the type of machines he works on.