1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

D'oh! Updated Nokia 221T & lost channels...

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by cerebros, Dec 11, 2003.

1. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Well I updated my 221T to the latest software tonight, but after the box did it's re-install, it's only finding 25 TV channels & 9 radio stations.

TV-wise it's lost BBC4, CBeebies (or CBBC, one of the kiddies ones anyway) plus Channel 5 (which had been a bit odd this week anyway... whenever I've flick through it's not had any picture but I got programme info). On the radio settings I'm missing all the BBC stations... Not sure if I'm missing and of the commercial ones...

What do I do to get the missing TV stations back? I've tried automatic scanning & re-installing, but this just finds the channels I've already got.

I'm on the Waltham transmitter if it's any help...

2. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Well after a couple more re-scans this morning I seem to have got the missing channels back (well, the ones I knew were missing anyway, might be missing some auction channels, but who gives a damn about them?)

3. Bish

Bish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Hi Cerebros,

I did the update too last night, didn't experience any of the channel problems but looks like you've fixed all that anyway..My question is...Do you have any idea what the update has actually done in terms of fixing any bugs or adding any new features??

4. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Well I can't say whether it's fixed the stability yet, I'll have to give it a few days for that, but it does seem to "stick" on a channel sometimes now which it wasn't doing before

5. Origin

Origin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well after the update to version 1.5, I now have one extra channel (like bid-up.tv but in reverse - aaarggh!).

When the box does that AV switching thing just after you've turned it off, although it does it much sooner it takes longer doing it (if that makes an sense!). Unfortunately, new bugs have appeared. When rearranging the channels in a newly created channel list, it constantly locks up. I've had to turn off the mains supply 4 times now since the update (the only way to get it back to life).

Don't know yet if they've cured any of the other multiple bugs, but at the moment it hasn't locked solid when watching TV in the usual way. Strangely, there's no mention of this new software on nokia.co.uk!

6. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Well my box doesn't seem to freeze up like it did before...

But - Channel 5 is still odd - get no sound & picture just seems to be blocks that update on the screen very slowly...

This is a bit annoying, as way back in July I got a Freeview box in the first place because analogue reception was so poor Channel 5 was unwatchable.

Now, analogue Channel 5 reception seems to be fine, but it seems to have gone completely on digital!

7. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    The only improvements with the new software I've noticed are that lip synch issue on qvc, bid-up etc are gone, and the picture no longer freezes when there is a burst of breakup. I noticed the box hanging when re-arranging channels before the new update, and it still has the tendency to hang using text and other functions. It's infrequent enough for me not to be too bothered. My main concern were the picture freezes which would wreck any recordings I attempted to make.

Channel 5 (and the ITV channels) are on 64 QAM muxes, which are much more susceptible to interference (and therefore need a stronger signal) than the 16QAM muxes. Check your signal strength and bit error rates using the opt button on the nokia. Unless the BER is 0.0 most of the time, you'll get breakup. A better signal is needed to fix that.

8. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    But why does it only seem to be Channel 5 that gets affected like this? ITV1 & 2, the few times I actually ever see them (Christ, are they the best arguments against commercial TV you've ever seen?) display the picture without problems... In fact, from my experiences I'd say all the channels seem as affected by interference as on another. It's only Channel 5 (at the moment) that seems to exhibit this particular problem

9. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
  10. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Er, my Nokia doesn't give that info when you use the opt button, no matter what screen I press it in

They seem to be suffering from the same problem, although I can't say if that's typical for them. I'm just mystified why C5 is flakey now when earlier in the year it was pretty good, unless they've decreased signal strength at the transmitter for some reason... (In actual fact, analogue Channel 5 seems to be quite a bit better than it was...)

It's not like I get much choice in the matter - it took several re-scans to pick up C5 after installing the new software, whereas when I first installed the 221T (and indeed the Netgem I-player before it) Channel 5 was detected straight away.

11. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Press navi then press opt. Displays information for the channel being watched (you really need to change channel, not just navigate to it with the navi bars).

Pin (received power) should be around -60 to -75db (higher the better, eg -65 is better than -70).

C/N (carrier/noise ratio) should be above 20dB, 25db is very good

BER: (bit error rate. 1e-3 means 1 in 1000 errors, 5e-5 means 5 in 1000000. Should be 0e0 most of the time for error free transmittion. If it goes to higher than e-3 you'll probably get frequent breakups.

BER seems the most significant figure. A signal booster will improve Pin and marginally, C/N, but it won't do any good if BER is constantly non-zero.

12. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    C/N seems to vary between 0 and 15 dB, although there's no visible picture.

PIN currently reads - 99dB

BER seems to vary from 1e-6 to 1e0

This is taken from Channel 5 as Channel 26, 514MHz

13. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Your signal is far too weak/noisy then. It's either the aerial or transmitter. Maybe worth getting the opinion of a professional aerial installer.

Edit: What transmitter are you using? Double check that channel 26 is correct for that mux on your transmitter. There's a slim chance that you've picked up a secondary transmitter when you've retuned your box. Some boxes (not the nokia as far as I know) don't prioritise on signal strength, and the only way to skip weak transmissions is to pull the aerial when scanning that part of the range. The 221t allows you to manually insert a channel number instead of scanning. A long shot, but worth checking anyway.

14. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Well I know I have aerial probs anyway since it's a loft aerial, but I can't do much about that since it's a rented property and I'm not forking out for an external aerial until such time as we get a 12 months lease.

15. Origin

Origin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nokia might (?) have cleared some of the bugs in the new 1.5 software, but I've noticed another one.

BBC teletext is no longer viewable. Scenario: Watching BBC1, press Text... red BBC side menu appears, move to highlight Weather, press Select. Audio and video disappears, replaced by text background (black screen with grey top and bottom bars. So far so good.... but wait for 30 seconds and still nothing's appeared. Get annoyed with waiting such a stupid long time so press Navi to choose a different channel... choose a channel and press select...

And that's it. Box crashed, won't respond to any more key presses, and even if left for 10 minutes or more won't sort itself out. The only solution is to remove mains power, yet again.

What's annoying is that the BBC text's weather used to work faultlessly with the previous software, but now it doesn't even appear! Even if this is some fault of the BBC, there's no excuse for the box not letting me cancel it and get out: it lets me bring up the menu system and select channels, so why won't it let me switch to one? Nokia seem to like releasing thoroughly buggy software to the public. They should introduce some proper quality control.

The best upgrade for my Nokia 221T would be to fit one of those bedside-lamp style inline mains switches in the power cable. That way, every time it crashes it would be much quicker to disconnect the mains. I am seriously thinking of fitting one to mine...

The 221T remains the worst electrical product I have ever bought.

16. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I can't say I'm having that problem. Standard BBC Digital text services operate as they did before.

I do, however, seem to have to wait longer than you'd think necessary for BBC News Multiscreen. My box goes to a blank screen for about 20 seconds, then I get the Nokia "Loading" screen for another 10 and then get to the Multiscreen service which, so far, has been pretty stable.

I do seem to be having some random lock-ups necessitating yanking the power lead out of the box... It still seems susceptible to locking up if you're using channel +/- very quickly for any length of time.