DOH Numpty dropped a clanger S Video help

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by berkeley384, May 2, 2007.

1. berkeley384

berkeley384

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +222
    Hello All,

I bought an LCD TV without making sure it as S video input on it

My Yamaha amp has S Video input & output on it and the idea would have been to put Sky+ and DVD in to the amp using S Video leads and then S Video out to the TV, But obviously I cant because I only have scart / HD / CV inputs on the TV

Have I got any options here ?

Thanks

Stephen

2. madhouse

madhouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Bawtry nr. Doncaster / Wiesbaden (Germany)
    Ratings:
    +72
    hiya,

I think before anyone can give some decent advice it would be ideal to have the amp and tv model.

For example most modern tellys accept s-video via scart as well.
    Maybe your telly has component inputs and your amp component inputs and outputs.

Let us know :eek:)

Can you copy me via private message too as I don't usually hang out in this part of the forum - just spotted your post on the front page.

Cheers,
    Simon

3. berkeley384

berkeley384

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +222
    Howdo Simon,

The amp is a Yamaha RXV 657 - the LCD TV is a Tosh 32C3030D.

What you've said does ring bells actually as the manual says something about setting the AV2 input to S Video if your sending it an S Video input - I didnt understand how a TV without an S viseo input could do this - is a special lead required ?

4. madhouse

madhouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    yepp - the s-video signal can also be sent through a scart lead, it just has to be a decent one with all 21 pins active (there are some cheaper ones out there that don't use all of the pins in the plugs.)
    What I have done in the past myself is used a scart adapter - you plug it into the telly like a regular scart cable, but on the back oftheplug you have the s-video input plug and three 'so-called' RCA plugs - one yellow one (for a video signal) and as you will know from stereo RCA cables one red and one white for audio left and right.
    Here's a link so you know what one the adapters looks like:

http://www.premium-cable.de/product...=3724&osCsid=2802854b96302a9e24f8420f42bcec5e

Sorry it's a German page but I just realised Argos is a crap site to try and find another example for you :eek:)

I have one myself as my previous telly and my current plasma both offer an s-video connection, but on the side of the telly. I didn't want to see cable sticking out of the side so I used the scart option. As you have spotted with your telly usually only one of multiple scart inputs will accept scart.
    Try it out - just plug one of your s-video cables into the adapter and plug it into the telly on the correct scart plug. Check your manual - you may have to set the input to s-video manually if the telly doesn't have an auto setting.

You can also buy a cable that has s-video on one side and scart on the other - but personally I think you are more flexible with an adapter.

I am downloading the manual for your Yamaha now and will do the same in a sec for your telly...

Will be back in a few...

:eek:)

Simon

5. madhouse

madhouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    right then,
    you should be just fine by getting the scart adapter I mentioned. This will replicate what you were doing with your previous telly - running 1 cable each from your dvd player and sky+ box to the yamaha, from there 1 cable to the telly. You'd just plug the scart into the telly and the s-video cable into the scart adapter.
    What you could also consider as well - both the Yamaha and your Toshiba have the component connection I mentioned earlier - the red, blue and green plugs. You can also send a video signal this way too. Actually, this should give you a sharper signal as well, slightly better than s-video. But this is something worth evaluating yourself, as others may argue this point - also it depends how good the telly deals with incoming signals.
    And if I understood correctly the Yamaha will 'upconvert' basic video signals and s-video signals to component.
    Do you always have the Yamaha on when watching via the sky+ box? If you don't necessarily want this you would also have to run a stereo rca cable to the input on the telly as well - no matter whether you go by s-video or component. You'll have the audio inputs on the adapter, and you'll notice the component inputs on your telly also have a designated stereo input so you get soundwhen you select that input on the telly.

Let me know if I can help any further.

:eek:)

PS - found an example for the adapter:
    Currys- http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/sto...duct&fm=11&sm=4&tm=0&sku=344220&category_oid=

Simon