1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Doh! Gonna have to get new speakers...

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by cerebros, Aug 22, 2003.

1. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Well I've finally got round to moving my front speakers over to my new lounge, and as I feared, I'm going to have to lose masses of space if I want to get the rears in as well :(

So I'm going to have to get something smaller, but what?

I'm going to need speakers that:

Are good with both stereo and multichannel movies & music
    Not too big
    Aren't too fussy about positioning, since the rear left will have to go right into the corner of the room, while the rear right will have to be against the back wall, but about 1.5 metres from the side wall (due to doors being between sofa & wall).

Budget-wise I'd ideally not want to spend much more than a grand tops, depending on what's out there. Can anyone recommend stuff i should consider auditioning?

2. overfloe

overfloe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    monitor audio b2 or mission m32 (since you have mission centre) for the fronts.. the b2 isn't fussy about positioning.. m3ds for the rears.. or you can go for the silver instead of the bronze MA

3. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I must admit I had been thinking about dipoles, but I'm not sure if they'd work well considering that I can't put them both right up to the sidewalls - it'll either be one or neither, as you'll see from the floor plan below.

[​IMG]

Unfortunately it's a rented property, so no affixing to rear walls either...

Whether i go for direct radiators or dipoles, would I be best positioning the speakers facing each other behind the sofa, behind the sofa & facing front room, or, as suggested in some placement guides, on their backs behind the sofa firing upwards? To be honest, I think I might try the latter with my current speakers, just to see what it's like...

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    In a similar situation to you I have bipole speakers although I have mine on the side walls. It shouldn't make much difference though if they are at the rear