Dogs And Complaining Neighbours !!!! Help

cav

Standard Member
Reaction score
we have had a complaint from our neighbours that our dogs are barking in the garden, the neighbours have a small dog and we have 2 dogs, we have put up a 1.5 mtr reed fencing which is fixed to a wire lower fence so the dogs would stop jumping up at the fence( they have never jumped over the fence into the neighbours garden) the only time the dogs bark in the garden is when someone is about( like dogs do) when we come home from work friday they have told our 11 year old son that the dogs bark all day and they never shut up in the garden which is not true our other neighbour whos house adjoins ours has not complained?? but this neighbour whos house is about 40 feet away has, (we are end terrace facing south there house is facing east big garden between us)

today sunday my wife and a few friends were sitting in the garden and said neighbour returns with his dog, my dogs obviously run over to the fence when i call them back so they come, so the neighbour then decides to pick his dog up above the fence so my dogs can see it and obviously my dogs now try and jump up at the fence,,

now he recons I should put a proper fence up to stop them but my wife has said no way if they want a fence they can put it up as he has antagonised our dogs and is proberbly doing it when we aint looking or around ( by the way dogs are never outside when we are not home)

does anyone know where we stand on this situation please help

( i think they have had it in for us since we moved in 6 months ago and thats prob why last peeps moved so quick)

YOU are responsible for YOUR dogs. Erect a higher fence and keep both dogs and neighbour out of plain sight! If by some accident your dogs get through/over/under the fence and cause damage, you may end up being charged with criminal negligence becuase you were aware of the potential problem, and as such your insurance may not cover you. Be sensible and protect your dogs.

BTW I am a dog owner and have done exactly the same although none of my neighbours have dogs, but have small children.

YOU are responsible for YOUR dogs. Erect a higher fence and keep both dogs and neighbour out of plain sight! If by some accident your dogs get through/over/under the fence and cause damage, you may end up being charged with criminal negligence becuase you were aware of the potential problem, and as such your insurance may not cover you. Be sensible and protect your dogs.

BTW I am a dog owner and have done exactly the same although none of my neighbours have dogs, but have small children.

Most of that is true but if it's not owned by them the fence then it's not there problem it's who ever owns the fence and really just pay no attention to the neighbour they are trying to wind you up.

You could ask your other neighbours if there's a problem so if you are reported you will have the other neighbours support there's always 1 iffy neighbour in a street looking to cause trouble.

Most of that is true but if it's not owned by them the fence then it's not there problem it's who ever owns the fence and really just pay no attention to the neighbour they are trying to wind you up.

You could ask your other neighbours if there's a problem so if you are reported you will have the other neighbours support there's always 1 iffy neighbour in a street looking to cause trouble.

Oh yes it is their problem. Even if the fence is owned by the neighbour, you can erect another one on the inside of it. The neighbours are under no obligation to erect a fence to keep YOUR dogs in your property.

The initial part of your post said that the neighbour complained that your dogs had been barking all day in the garden, but you say that the dogs are not outside whilst you are out.

They were either outside all day barking, or they weren't ?

You also say it's not true as the adjoining neighbours haven't complained. This doesn't mean it's not true, just that they haven't complained about it - yet.

So is the about a fence, or about them barking ?

If your dogs are trying to jump over then fence then it's your responsibility to make sure they can't. If they escape and do any damage to property or even worse attack the neighbours dog or a child then you will see them being destroyed which would be heart breaking for all involved (as a dog owner myself).

If your dogs are barking all day, either inside or outside then it's your responsibility to try to keep them quiet.

Whichever way you look at it, they are your dogs and your responsibility to make sure they are not a nuisance to the neighbours - if you really feel that they aren't and everything is fine as it is and the neighbour really is provoking your dogs then keep your camera/phone handy and if he winds your dogs up by lifting his dog up to the fence then take a photo as evidence to counter any claims he may make against you. Apart from that just smile and agree to everything he says - and do nothing.

If its barking then I fully back up the complaint.

I work shifts and so end up trying to sleep at unsocialable hours.

My current pet hate (pardon the pun) is barking dogs. Some neighbours seem to head out all day and leave their dogs either in the yard or in the street to bark non-stop. For me this is anti-social.

I intend to speak to the dog wardens soon to see what my rights are.

Btw I am a dog lover but not when they bark ALL DAY.

Set up a recording device to record sound in the house then when you get home you can find out if they have been barking. If there is no barking on the recording I would pop to the neighbours and ask if they have heard barking during the day and if the answer is yes then you can tell them how you know it isn't your dogs..

If barking is recorded then maybe you could leave a radio on during the day and maybe someone could pop in during the day to see the dogs...

If barking is recorded then maybe you could leave a radio on during the day

And if you leave it on loud enough then it will drown out the barking anyway - job done. I suggest some offensive 'gangsta rap' :D

You still haven't said if they were in the garden all day, or they weren't...

If your dogs are barking while you are out they are probably bored, can't you get someone to take them for a walk in the day.

Your dogs are allowed to bark during the day but if its really loud then and annoying your neighbours then its better if you do something about it. I complained to the council about a neighbour in my last house because there dogs would bark all night and I was told hat there is nothing that you can do unless it happens at night, it had to happen after 22:00 and they called round with a device to measure the sound.

As I said I dont think you need to do anything about it but I would if it was me, but that all depends on how much of a :censored: your neighbour is being.

How to stop your dogs from barking in the back yard?

Put them in the front yard!!!!!!

Oh yes it is their problem. Even if the fence is owned by the neighbour, you can erect another one on the inside of it. The neighbours are under no obligation to erect a fence to keep YOUR dogs in your property.

but if you have done your best to erect a fence that is capable of keeping the dogs in and this can be proved then its the neighbourghs who are under obligation if theyre not happy with the already satisfactory fence.

They were either outside all day barking, or they weren't ?

The dogs are INSIDE the neighbours say they are OUTSIDE all day barking

So is the about a fence, or about them barking

Its about our dogs going over to the fence when there dog is out barking at ours and ours barking back

Set up a recording device to record sound in the house then when you get home you can find out if they have been barking. If there is no barking on the recording I would pop to the neighbours and ask if they have heard barking during the day and if the answer is yes then you can tell them how you know it isn't your dogs

Did that today and not a peep out of them did a test the night before to make sure its records

Also moved the dog to another part of the garden (end terrace side and rear gardens)

It might not be your dogs that he hears,anybody else got any.

Ask for proof and ask how they could tell that it was your dog ?

I have 3 dogs and they bark at all hours, what do I do sit them down and tell them they are going to a new home ? They are animals and you only have so much control !

My neighbours don't have any issues as they sit in the garden and smoke weed all day :nono:

Ask for proof and ask how they could tell that it was your dog ?

I have 3 dogs and they bark at all hours, what do I do sit them down and tell them they are going to a new home ? They are animals and you only have so much control !

My neighbours don't have any issues as they sit in the garden and smoke weed all day :nono:

I hope I don't sound too annoyed here, but thats exactly the attitude that gets to me with people and their dogs.

As I mentioned I am a shift worker and often have to sleep during the day. Now if people head off to work themselves and chuck their dogs out on to the streets to bark all day (not saying you do this btw) then thats just plain irresponsible and I would fully condone their dogs being taken off them.

As a dog owner you have to show responsibility for your pet, and you are accountable if your pet is creating a nuisance. If a dog cant stop barking then it shouldn't be in a densely populated housing development. If it must, then it should be muzzled so it can't bark.

There are just too many scally's around these days who don't care who is annoyed as long as its not them. Would they find it so much fun if I came home from work at 5am and starting playing loud music or have a dog barking outside their house? Don't think so.

I hope I don't sound too annoyed here, but thats exactly the attitude that gets to me with people and their dogs.

As I mentioned I am a shift worker and often have to sleep during the day. Now if people head off to work themselves and chuck their dogs out on to the streets to bark all day (not saying you do this btw) then thats just plain irresponsible and I would fully condone their dogs being taken off them.

As a dog owner you have to show responsibility for your pet, and you are accountable if your pet is creating a nuisance. If a dog cant stop barking then it shouldn't be in a densely populated housing development. If it must, then it should be muzzled so it can't bark.

There are just too many scally's around these days who don't care who is annoyed as long as its not them. Would they find it so much fun if I came home from work at 5am and starting playing loud music or have a dog barking outside their house? Don't think so.

I also work shift work ;)

My dogs are well behaved and its the odd bark and thats it. If any longer I would get up and have a look to see if I can stop the barking. I like others like my sleep.

I never leave the dogs outside the front or back unless I am around.

Could I muzzle the local kids also :D

Have moved the dogs to another part of the garden well away from the neighbours house and have recorded for the last 2 days and not a peep from them only when my son comes in for lunch and after school :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom