Dog Soliders DVD

Gary D

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i saw this rental DVD on saturday, FANTASTIC FILM!!!! however, the image was really really grainy - i was wondering does anyone know if this is on purpose or is it just a bad transfer? The sound was pretty good with a fair amount of activety on the rears.

Gary

i thought they were pretty cool, in keeping with the tongue in cheek nature of the film - and it has the best Matrix referance i've heard so far. which for the benefit of those who haven't seen i wont mention.

Gary

The director recognised the fact that the wolves don't look too hot, that's why there's as few "proper" shots of them as possible.
They used ballet dancers on stilts (to get the height), which worked fine in rehearsals but once they got out on uneven ground everything started to go wrong :rolleyes: and they didn't have time to come up with a solution.
I thought they looked OK personally. And the film's a hoot.

R1 SE is due in early December with a sellthrough UK release some time in the new year.

Originally posted by James45
out already? that's part one of my halloween night horror fest sorted then!!

rental only for now.

Glad it wasnt just me, I thought they were working from a budget we used to have at our school plays :D

I didnt find it scary, in fact I couldnt stop myself laughing especially with the bit where the camera pretends to be from the point of view of the wolves with this hilariously puppet type paw in the front waving around.

One of the things I get annoyed at with some movies like this is that they need to introduce the characters for at least the first 30 mins of a movie, so that you feel for them and when they are in danger you are thinking (or shouting) run!.

Some films you just couldnt care less if the victims just died there and then.

Matt actually just reviewed this on my site...... I can't wait for this one even more now!

Dog Soldiers

Yes, we need to get some more Jason Voorhees on the go, get some nice easy kills in at the start of the film and with minimal cast development. You never really care about them getting killed, I get more upset when they don't get killed.

Hi,

Does anyone else think that this should have been given an "18" certificate, if not for the language, for the exceptionally graphic and bloody violence?

No way is this suitable (in my opinion) for 15 year olds to watch!

Pooch

I guess we can't stand in the way of progress. Probably comes from being brought up in the bad old days of harsh censorship.

Sometimes I still feel the need to pinch myself when seeing the kind of ratings some films are getting away with.
It's got a lot to do with tone though, I think. Something that's generally tongue in cheek seems to be judged on the spirit it was intended, which can't be bad at the end of the day.

But in answer to your question, yes, I thought it was a bit strong for a 15. Not that it's really in the same league as something like Braindead, which I'd say is deserving of it's 18 tag. In comparison to that I'd say the 15 is about right

I watched it last night and thought it was great (if taken in the right context).
I was definately surprised it wasn't an 18, even just for the language. Fortunately I'm over 18 :D (by quite a bit)..

The "C" word.
The BBFC won't let it go in anything less than an 18. An example would be American Beauty, they offered it a 15 if they overdubbed the offending word. Dreamworks consulted the director who laughed in the face of censorship and told them he wouldn't alter the film, hence American Beauty got a rather harsh 18 cert. Bridget Jones's Diary on the other hand (I think it was that one) chose to do an overdub for a lower rating.
Not something I agree with myself as it is, after all, just a word.
Not one that I'd choose to use in front of my mum though;)

Hi,

If you want to compare an oddly-rated "18" film, then just check out Mike Leigh's latest flick "All Or Nothing", with Timothy Spall.

Because of the sheer amount of "F" and "C" words in it, it was given an "18" by the BBFC. Apart from the language, it may well have scrapped by with a "12" certificate, "15" at most.

Pooch

I seen it at the cinema and I loved it .The film quality is similar to the first two seasons of buffy where they used secondhand film to keep production costs down.

Loved the bit with the dog pulling at the blokes entrails lol

american beauty wasn't offered a lower certificate if the c word was cut, the c word is sometimes used in 15 rated films. the reason american beauty was an 18, i read this in an interview with someone at the bbfc, was that the drug dealer goes unpunished. if ricky had been sent to prison instead of happily running off to live the big pimpin dealer life it would have been a 15 but it's apparently a bad example for kids if a dealer goes free.

Originally posted by danielzavitz
american beauty wasn't offered a lower certificate if the c word was cut, the c word is sometimes used in 15 rated films. the reason american beauty was an 18, i read this in an interview with someone at the bbfc, was that the drug dealer goes unpunished. if ricky had been sent to prison instead of happily running off to live the big pimpin dealer life it would have been a 15 but it's apparently a bad example for kids if a dealer goes free.

That'll teach me to believe the written word, then. Strange how it came from the directors mouth. Maybe the BBFC didn't tell him the real reason they wanted to give him a higher rating, that or he was trying to look "hard" in the interview:D

Originally posted by captaineyecatch
The R2 SE is due March and will have Audio com. A short film by the director, Deleted scenes, etc - Just got to wait for it (Bloody rental windows

March??? Whadda crock. Oh well, really do want it and I'd say the deleted scenes could be funny, so I guess I'm waiting too.

I've recently read it'll be february.

Originally posted by captaineyecatch
Warning dont buy the R1 - the special features have been cancelled - the only extra you get is a trailer :mad:

Where did this info come from exactly?
None of the online suppliers that are taking preorders have removed the extras from their listings

Originally posted by Rambo John J
Where did this info come from exactly?
The region 2 project had this .
After a little fuss and bother on the Message Board We've managed to get some details on the upcoming U.K retail release of "Dog Soldiers". The debate came about because the U.S release will be available in a couple of weeks, whereas the U.K release won't be happening until February (the 3rd to be precise). As far as I can tell (going by Amazon.com) the U.S release will have no extras at all. The U.K retail editon that is still in production should have a commentary track, Neil Marshall first film "Combat" and of course deleted scenes.

More info one this link. http://www.r2-dvd.org/article.jsp?sectionId=3&articleId=4856

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom