Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Links: Amazon.co.uk - HMV - Second Sight - Zavvi

Standard Edition: Amazon.co.uk - HMV - Second Sight - Zavvi

Release date: 22/08/2022

DS_4K (packshot).jpg

Limited Edition Contents:
  • Rigid slipcase with new artwork by Chris Malbon
  • 108 page book with new essays by Craig Ian Mann, Alison Peirse, Zoë Rose Smith, Anya Stanley, exclusive interview with Neil Marshall by Matthew Thrift, plus Behind the Scenes photos
  • 6 collectors' art cards
Special Features (Both Editions):
  • A new 4K restoration from the Original Camera Negative approved by Director Neil Marshall and Director of Photography Sam McCurdy
  • Features 4K UHD and Blu-ray with bonus features on both formats
  • 4K UHD presented in Dolby Vision HDR
  • Archive audio commentary by Director Neil Marshall
  • Archive audio commentary by Neil Marshall, Sam McCurdy, producer Keith Bell and actors Sean Pertwee, Kevin McKidd and Liam Cunningham
  • New audio commentary by writer and Associate Professor of Film Alison Peirse
  • Werewolves, Crawlers, Cannibals and More: a new 40-minute interview with Neil Marshall
  • A History of Lycanthropy: author Gavin Baddeley on Werewolf Cinema
  • Werewolves, Folklore and Cinema: a video essay by author Mikel J. Koven
  • Werewolves vs Soldiers: The Making of Dog Soldiers with Neil Marshall, Producers Christopher Figg and Keith Bell, Actors Sean Pertwee, Kevin McKidd, Darren Morfitt, Leslie Simpson and Emma Cleasby, Special Effects Artist Bob Keen and more!
  • A Cottage in the Woods: an interview with Production Designer Simon Bowles
  • Combat: a short film by Neil Marshall
  • Deleted Scenes and Gag Reel with optional commentary by Neil Marshall
  • Trailers and Photo Gallery
  • Optional English subtitles for the hearing impaired

Standard Edition:
DS_4K (standard).jpg

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
OMG I have waited forever for this

OMG I have waited forever for this

Same
I was looking at importing the Shout Factory version recently but this is going to be too good to pass up
That new cover art alone is glorious

I love this movie & have every faith that Second Sight are going to do an amazing job with it

Cannot wait

Neil

Same
I was looking at importing the Shout Factory version recently but this is going to be too good to pass up
That new cover art alone is glorious

I love this movie & have every faith that Second Sight are going to do an amazing job with it

Cannot wait

Neil

I don't know how the SF version looks but recall the DVD being super grainy (as director intended most likely) will be curious to see how this cleans up and how they deal with the grain, either way I'm all over this.

I watched my old DVD copy a short while ago. The PQ was awful. I hope that the BR is better, not that I’ll be buying it, I don’t think.

I watched my old DVD copy a short while ago. The PQ was awful. I hope that the BR is better, not that I’ll be buying it, I don’t think.
Yeah I remember the DVD looking terrible! Probably best waiting for reviews here but I imagine it won't look better than what we get with this one.

If it's based on the German Koch Media 4K remaster from the original 16mm negatives, I hope they can improve the black levels which were pretty grey. The best analysis of that release from the blu-ray.com forums also suggests that digital cleaning is needed as it's a quite dirty (along with two minor audio errors from remixing).

I'd say the UK DVD is actually reasonable from being based on the original 16mm negatives. The US blurays were based on cinema prints with the 2009 First Look Studios release being very rough while the 2015 Shout release was marginally better but screwed by changes to colour temperatures and brightness in many day for night shots. The defense by Neil Marshall about original colour just doesn't match what I (and others) saw in the cinema and which the UK DVD matches.

I've been holding out for a fix to the Koch media release so I hope this is the one!

Grrrrr, when it says new 4K master then you read no 4K release.

Lovely artwork but i’ll wait for a 4K release for Mr Marshalls 2nd best movie. Hopefully he’ll have some news on his best movie too, soon.

I absolutely love that new cover art, would be great if they did glow in the dark for the moon and title.

I have the German 4k digibook and it's a mixed bag quality wise. The UK dvd is very soft and I had initially put it down to being shot on 16mm. The 4k does have a ton more detail though and the colours are a lot better overall so it was never an issue with the film being on 16mm.

Where the 4k does come up short is in black levels, as they are more grey and with film grain being heavy at times due to the 16mm film. There are also some inconsistancies between shots where some look really good and others look unfinished as well as some audio issues.

I did consider the various US releases but they all had underwhelming reviews so I jumped on the 4k when it came out. It's not perfect but I'd take it over the dvd. The scenes in the house have so much more depth and detail to them it makes for a better viewing experience in my opinion.

I'll be interested in the reviews of this new release but it's only a blu-ray so I'll probably give it a miss despite that stunning cover art.

Where do we even buy this? Nothing on SS website at all.

Where do we even buy this? Nothing on SS website at all.

They haven't begun pre-orders yet, will be up at all the usual suspects as soon as they open up the pre-order

Neil

i hope the new special edition is as seen, love the artwork!

If it's based on the German Koch Media 4K remaster from the original 16mm negatives, I hope they can improve the black levels which were pretty grey. The best analysis of that release from the blu-ray.com forums also suggests that digital cleaning is needed as it's a quite dirty (along with two minor audio errors from remixing).

I'd say the UK DVD is actually reasonable from being based on the original 16mm negatives. The US blurays were based on cinema prints with the 2009 First Look Studios release being very rough while the 2015 Shout release was marginally better but screwed by changes to colour temperatures and brightness in many day for night shots. The defense by Neil Marshall about original colour just doesn't match what I (and others) saw in the cinema and which the UK DVD matches.

I've been holding out for a fix to the Koch media release so I hope this is the one!
Hi the 2019 German 4k blu ray was remastered from a film print. Even a immaculate film print will never be anywhere near as good as the original film negative.

The Second Sight 4k remastered Dog Soldiers blu ray uses the original film negative (that was thought to be lost) that Neil Marshall found.

Edited: sorry my mistake the original film negative was used for the German 4k blu ray release.

_20200910_232016.JPG

Last edited:
No, the German Koch release very specifically stated that it was from finding the original negatives (but could possibly be the interpositives) back in at least 2018 and not a film print. Exceptions would be the special effects, mostly gun shots, which could come from either interpositive or film print, where you see a drop in quality.

Someone who did the production transfers of Dog Soldiers had chimed in about the original process.

Would that be the original reel that movie was filmed on?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom