1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dog proofing speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Lithian, Mar 12, 2003.

1. Lithian

Lithian
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am about to take delivery of a set of AE Aegis Evo's, 3's at the front, 1's on Atacama Nexus 10 stands at the back (and a centre atop the telly)

As i am sure some of you will know these need some breathing room which it turns out i have (i moved some furniture in my room, surprising what ditching a few desks can do) So the speakers will pretty much be standing in the middle of the floor.

The problem that i hadn't thought about until today when Micha, one of my dogs, shoved the kitchen table out of her way without so much as a thought. I have two Newfoundlands, big bears of dogs and yes, very strong and a bit clumsy to be honest.

The speakers should already be starting their route to me, so what can i do to keep them safe?

I fully expect to find speakers fallen to the floor quite often, i suppose the only option is insurance, just better check the policy for 'acts of dog' :smoke:

2. Adlopa

Adlopa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I twice had the woofers (yes, I know) chewed out of a pair of floorstanding Mission speakers by my (then) adolescent bull terrier. Wall mounting them was the only solution.

You can get various anti-dog sprays but I doubt any of them work. Depending on the age of the dogs, you could try a little aversion therapy -- making a loud, unpleasant noise when they go near the speakers, for example. Probably more trouble than it's worth though.

A perimeter fence around the base of each speaker? Foam crash mats?

3. Lithian

Lithian
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was thinking about getting a lot of helium balloons and tying them to the tops of the speakers.

Make it so that the lifting force is less than but close to the weight of the speakers, then if someone knocks them over they will just float away and come back down gently.

Actually, that has its own problems, best not to leave the windows open. Imagine coming home and seeing one of your bookshelf speakers drifting off down the street. Scary sight indeed.

Guess i will just have to run the risk.

4. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Taxidermy?

Only solution I can think of..

Mark.

5. helenj

helenj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmm... I've got a similar problem with my cats and the sub. The speakers are wall-mounted so not an issue, but that big black sub in the corner of the room has this really nice material cover on the front, just right for a cat to sharpen their claws on....

6. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Years ago my cat used to enter the large front port of my Pioneer HPM-150 speakers and sleep inside.
    Quite often I only realised he was there when music started and he couldn't jump out fast enough.
    Eventually he was too fat to climb in so no longer a problem.