1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dog Breath advert withdrawn

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Lex, Mar 19, 2003.

1. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Any of you guys see that chewing gum advert with the dog coming out of that guys mouth?
    The ITC apparently recieved more complaints for that then any other advert in history. It has since been withdrawn.
    I have to admit I found it a bit gross myself! :thumbsdow :rolleyes:

2. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,017
    :( I never saw it.
    At first they were only going to show it after 21.00 due to the complaints. They even complained about the Sophie Dahl poster which I thought tasteful for a nude. Double:(

3. bh

bh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    A great advert. Why kids would be scared is a little beyond me, but then again, we discovered last week (from psychologists) that Thomas the Tank Engine could be creating a generation of kids that are scared of rail travel.

4. James69

James69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What if kids watch Fireman Sam - will that make them afraid of Fireman? :eek: :D

I liked the dog advert, not very effective though coz I cant remember what it waz for! :D

5. Setenza

Setenza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    But neither Fireman Sam or Thomas The Tank Engine were shown emerging from someones mouth.

The advert despite being amusing was exceptionally bad taste IMHO, but then again isn't 75% of all commercials these days.

6. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not surprised it was withdrawn. Even less surprised that there are so many sad, lonely, bored freaks out there that actually bother to complain about these things.

Interesting that the advert where the bloke licks Carling off a toilet seat was deemed acceptable.

Nice message to send to the kids :smashin:

7. Timmy B

Timmy B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Who the heck has time to complain about this crap! If you find it gross, heres an idea: next time its on, CHANGE CHANNEL!

8. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +851
    I'd have preferred it if the ad showed him slipping into a dirty dogs mouth the night before, rather than the quite tasteful version they came up with.

The dog just needed a bath. It didn't scare me.
    I'd have thought the objections would have been for encouraging people to eat 8 or 9 mints at once which would, of course, have caused 2nd degree burns to the roof of your mouth.:lesson:

9. Setenza

Setenza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    RJJ, I could make a exceptionally childish double entendre, but knowing that your a man of integrity, will not do so :D

I thought the Carling advert was pretty low. Seems that sexuals acts, innuendo are totally standard marketing techniques, and exceptible.

Why do people complain? Because they're offended I guess. Offense is a relative thing. Yes I know that its a shame they don't complain about more important things, but thats people for you :rolleyes:

10. Timmy B

Timmy B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's all those dog lovers phoning on behalf of their dog.

11. dolph

dolph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Hope I'm allowed to do this...

Do not open if easily offended;)

Dog Breath

12. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What's wrong with that?

Too many pussies in this world!:laugh:

13. rhoamish

rhoamish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I must admit, I made a series of complaints against BT adverts. I wasn't offended: I just hate BT.

I've got a policy of trying to remember patronising adverts when I go shopping. I boycott anything with irritating, rubbish adverts. That's why I don't buy any Gillette products (or Wilkinson Sword, because they're the same company).

14. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    As a rule I am dead set against censorship in any form, and I agree with the "if you don't like it, don't watch it" argument. But I make an exception for adverts for the simple reason that there's no way for a viewer to be able to predict what adverts are going to contain.

If you turn on a scheduled program and it says at the beginning that it contains scenes that may be disturbing and you keep watching, then you have no one to blame but yourself. If a person is sensitive then they can make sure they listen to that sort of warning, or check listings magazines, or whatever: as far as the program itself is concerned, you know what you're likely to get, so you can make an informed decision about whether you want to watch it or not.

But with adverts there is no scheduling information - no way to tell which adverts will be shown during any given program. And when was the last time you saw an advert with a warning at the beginning that it might be upsetting? So that means that a person cannot choose to switch over until after they have already been slapped in the face by whatever it is they find upsetting or offensive. Unless people are given some way of being able to choose which adverts they want to see before the adverts actually come on, adverts need to be made in a way that will not be offensive or upsetting.

15. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Well said NicolasB :smashin:

16. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i really couldn't see what all the fuss was about it was an average advert. How anyone could have been offended by it is beyond me.

Another advert had a huge number of complaints the Andrex advert featuring Bums

if these ads are on after the watershed people who complain really do need to get a life

17. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    How people can complain about a dog coming out of a mans mouth when you can see people being blown to death on the news is beyond me. Last week several firemen were putting out a fire when the building exploded in there faces. This was shown in slow motion as the missile hit and a Fireman was shown being blown back off his feet! Then bodies lying in pools of blood.

Do people even realise whats going on in the world?

18. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unfortunately, some people define their lives by how much worse they can make other peoples lives by complaining, getting 'offended' every five minutes and believing that everything must be fit for a 5 year old to watch if it is to be acceptable for the public at large.

Even more unfortunate is that these people think they are more intelligent and know better than everyone else and actually think that they're helping in some way. These people have no idea what the concept of keeping things in perspective means.

The modern desire to complain and take offence at the drop of a hat reminds me of what happens when people take antibiotics every time they sneeze... eventually it has no more effect, you end up genuinely causing problems for yourself and even the doctor can't save you.

19. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    indeed

what is worse is people seem to pay attention to these muppets also

20. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's funny you say that, I had written an ending to my last post that basically said the most unfortunate thing of all was that these people have organisations and telephone numbers that will allow them to indulge their selfish, misguided whinges.

Deleted it though... I thought someone might complain.

21. Rochdale

Rochdale
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I quite liked that ad, it was clever and different from the usual garbage about selling your pension early, getting a loan you can't afford or taking someone to court cos you're a clumsy oaf that fell over in the street.