Quantcast

Dog barking 6:30am.

stblob

Hi guys,
We have had recent new neighbor's and they have a dog. They have it go out in the garden at 6:30am for its toilet time ( that's kinda disgusting in its self) but it goes off on a frenzi and wakes me up.
I myself get home at 1am, so sleep till round about 9-10am.
Plus it goes mental when someone knocks the front door. ( That doesn't really bother me.)
These neighbor's have already upset a few residents in the neighbohood.
How to you go about it? Knowing they're made good friends around here already. NOT.
Thanks for any advice.

Cameron583

Speak to them?

ThereIs0nly0ne

Sounds like a challenging situation. A backup plan may be to try some ear plugs - foam ones tend to be rubbish and I would recommend the wax ones from Boots. They can take a bit of getting used to so perseverance may be required.

I’m a very light sleeper and I’ve been using these for years and they’ve helped no end. Just a thought ...

Leo31291

Its one of those things I'd learn to deal with. Buy some earplugs if it's that bad. I bought some from sainsburys when we had builders round knocking down walls and I slept through it.

stblob

I wear ear plugs at work so the last I want to do is wear some when sleeping.
Talking to them I agree however they seem to have had run ins with most people round here already.
And I'm most likely tell theme to shut the thing up or I will. I know, not really the correct way.
Will have a chat with them but I do you go about it?
Will tell then that I don't need a 6:30am wake up call.

MSW

Distinguished Member
I think the best way is to ask them to do exactly what you want them to do I.e. don’t simply ask them to keep the dog quiet but, offer them the solution you want

If you simply say keep the dog quiet you leave to much to inerpretation

Be specific with the solution you want them to put in place.

It seams to me you want them to keep the dog indoors till 11am so ask them to do that.

Keeping some dogs quiet can be impossible and as such something they can’t physically do unless it’s kept indoors till you wake up

Bl4ckGryph0n

Distinguished Member
To be fair. We let our dog in the garden first thing in the morning. He used to be good until 9:30 but now he is on kidney car he needs to go earlier.

I got up early this morning, and let him out. But as it was way to early I left the utility door open, closed the internal door and went back up to sleep 😂

That way he doesn’t have to stay outside and won’t bark at the door.

If that is no option for the neighbours hey could just wait 10-15 minutes and let him in again.

Saying that, we also have less considerate people in the road and they let their dogs out in the garden all evening. And they literally go barking mad. It’s a bit sad for the dogs I think.

Perhaps worthwhile to suggest to your neighbours to let the dog back in.

I’m not sure why you think it’s disgusting to let the dog go in the garden 😬

aVdub

Distinguished Member
I understood the question!

Phone the council and talk to the noise complaint department. They might/should ask a few questions and ask you to keep a log of times/noise etc.

They should act on your complaint.

leo79

Outdo them and buy a cockerel.

It's got to be worth having a quick chat with them even if they do tell you to do one. They might be ok and try to let the dog out a bit later.
If talking doesn't work there's not much else you can do apart from try to mask the noise that's waking you up. Earplugs, background music etc. Our youngest used a background noise CD off amazon which played rainforest noises and weather noises etc. Worked wonders with him because he used to wake at all hours at the slightest sound.

But I can see the other part of it though where you could be thinking why should you change your sleeping pattern because of someone's bloody dog.
But if the owners don't want to know, it can get a bit tricky.

stblob

Sounds like they should be taking it out for walks not just using the garden.
I think that's one of the issues. Work all day, let the dog out in the yard for a poo at midnight. ( Not that bothered) and then 6:30 am. They work a day! What's the point of even having a dog? If you cant look after it.

nick67

We've had something similar, they let the dog out at 6:0, midafternoon and then around 10pm, as we back onto woods with various squirrels/birds etc the dog goes bonkers.

They are both retired, everyone else works during the week and welcomes the chance to lay in.

We collectively went round for a polite chat, which ended up with him saying he would walk the dog more often.

So everyone was happy, he took it as an opportunity to get away from his wife :D

rousetafarian

I wear ear plugs at work so the last I want to do is wear some when sleeping.
Talking to them I agree however they seem to have had run ins with most people round here already.
And I'm most likely tell theme to shut the thing up or I will. I know, not really the correct way.
Will have a chat with them but I do you go about it?
Will tell then that I don't need a 6:30am wake up call.
I’ve interpreted this as you shutting the dog up yourself if they don’t. Explain yourself properly as currently it implies you will do something to the dog to shut it up.

I hope I’m wrong.

Last edited:

rousetafarian

I think that's one of the issues. Work all day, let the dog out in the yard for a poo at midnight. ( Not that bothered) and then 6:30 am. They work a day! What's the point of even having a dog? If you cant look after it.
Some dogs are happy to be left alone, who are you to say it’s not being looked after properly?

MrSossidge

Distinguished Member
Dogs bark. It's normal. The day is starting and lots of stuff is happening at that time of a morning. My bin men are usually out and emptying bins in their noisy lorries dragging wheelie bins around. There's stables near me and some of the owners are out on their horses clip cloping down the street at 6am before they go to work. There's traffic down my street making a noise. To me, the unusual part of the op is the getting home at 1am. I get it that it's a work pattern but generally everyone else is waking and getting up from 6am. Don't get me wrong, I sympathise but I doubt they'll change to suit your work/sleep pattern.

Bl4ckGryph0n

Distinguished Member
Would a muzzle prevent the dog from barking?
In my opinion, it would be much better to understand why the dog is barking and manage it that way. Same with all these other 'gadgets' that people us to 'prevent' a dog from pulling on the lead. All they have to do is give it some attention and training.

Dony

Distinguished Member
In my opinion, it would be much better to understand why the dog is barking and manage it that way. Same with all these other 'gadgets' that people us to 'prevent' a dog from pulling on the lead. All they have to do is give it some attention and training.
I used to think the same when we had our Labrador. Then we got a labradoodle !!

Bl4ckGryph0n

Distinguished Member
I used to think the same when we had our Labrador. Then we got a labradoodle !!
Can’t you bore them into submission?

I felt like a real prat when walking out to take like four steps back. Wait until he sits and then go again each time he starts pulling 😂 but it worked.