Dof

SweetGirl

I have been trying to get the DOF right in my photos. :confused:

I took this one last week. Please tell me how i can improve

459613487_5862ac02b9.jpg

allymac123

Please tell me how i can improve

I'm afraid I can't do that :D

As far as a small DOF is concerned I think you've cracked the nail on the head. Now to work on creating a large DOF.

senu

Distinguished Member
The shallow DOF ( or bokeh ( its quality)) on both your tulips and bluebell posts are quite good, actually

There have been a few threads recently on DOF.
Suffice to say that it is related to

Focal length of lens ( and that used to subject if not a fixed focal length lens)
Aperture used
Distance to image

As such it is difficult to answer directly . However there are a few rules regarding hyperfocal distance which will come shortly

Ill see if the link to a DOF simulator is in one of my bookmarks
look at
http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

and

http://www.photonhead.com/simcam/shutteraperture.php
This one is less of a DOF but more of a Shutter exposure simulator: However it is relevant since you control DOF by aperture up to a point ( within your hyperfocal distance)

Canons have a setting A-DEP which tries to expose the image well and still give you a deep DOF, as such keeping most of the image in focus : Useful for Landscape shots. Im not sure there is a Nikon equivalent

Yandros

Not much wrong with what you're doing already :thumbsup:

Your gallery has some lovely stuff in it, and if you're still learning we're soon going to be in BIG BIG trouble :eek: (love the candids in the park, the rickshaw, tulip1, the gulls..etc etc )

What is troubling you about the DOF? What mode are you shooting in for a start?

jonnypb

Can't really improve on that photo for narrow DOF.

I was bored the other day so I told the wife I'd sweep/clean the decking then stain it ready for the summer. Instead she caught me lying down :eek: with my tripod setup testing DOF on my Canon 50mm 1.8. Tried to explain what I was doing but she didn't understand :rolleyes:

462050997_d2d2b64a53_o.jpg

462051015_88593dfa38_o.jpg

462051023_75c519ee94_o.jpg

462051033_5a96fd8bfb_o.jpg

462051045_7994616ddb_o.jpg

462051055_08b1b29885_o.jpg

SweetGirl

Not much wrong with what you're doing already :thumbsup:

Your gallery has some lovely stuff in it, and if you're still learning we're soon going to be in BIG BIG trouble :eek: (love the candids in the park, the rickshaw, tulip1, the gulls..etc etc )

What is troubling you about the DOF? What mode are you shooting in for a start?

Thanks Yandros.:)

Not sure what was troubling me about it..just didn't look as good as other had displayed. Do you not think the background is too fuzzed out.

I shoot in mode S - Shutter Priority

jonnypb

Not sure what was troubling me about it..just didn't look as good as other had displayed. Do you not think the background is too fuzzed out.

With a narow DOF you will get blur. If you'd have shot the same shot at F11 or F22 you'd get more of the picture in focus giving a bigger DOF

If you're playing around with DOF you'll probably be better shooting in AV (Aperture Priority) so that you change the F-stop and let the camera pick the shutter speed

Have a read of this

SweetGirl

With a narow DOF you will get blur. If you'd have shot the same shot at F11 or F22 you'd get more of the picture in focus giving a bigger DOF

If you're playing around with DOF you'll probably be better shooting in AV (Aperture Priority) so that you change the F-stop and let the camera pick the shutter speed

Have a read of this

I will have another go tommorrow...watch this space :cool:

Ps...thanks for the great advise....

Brammers

Banned
Sweetgirl, while you've certainly created a shallow DoF effect in that shot, you've not really done much with it. What are you contrasting? I see some grass, then an OoF background.

The same with Bubble's shots - he's mastered the technique of selective DoF, but he's not really doing much with it.

Now you've both got the technique nailed you need to use it to create pleasing images. Sometimes something truly abstract can create a pleasing effect, sometiems you need something more definate. Here's a few examples:

night_001.jpg

Not sure if this is effective - but a very shallow DoF in a night scene. Probably needs a stronger subject.

cheese.jpg

A fun shot - focusing on the photographer.

lobsters_001.jpg

Picking out the eyes makes this jump out at you.

PICT1245.jpg

The background being out of focus focuses attention on the dancer.

girltiananmen.jpg

Slightly sinister this one - a contrast. It requires a bit of knowledge, but the portrait in the background is Chairman Mao and the young girl is on the scene of the Tiananmen Square Massacre. The intention was to contrast her innocence with the omnipresent Chinese authorities, and all the horror they've caused.

Anyway, my shots are by no means classics, but maybe they can inspire you somehow :)

senu

Distinguished Member
As an aside , true bokeh is a lens thing
but
those clever with PS can and do "create" background blur within software
It is not the same thing but it can look pretty close in good hands

Yandros

Shutter priority is great for shots like the gulls, when you need to maintain a high shutter speed no matter what happens to freeze the action. It's also potentially useful in low light conditions, again when you need to keep the speed up to avoid camera shake.

For more normal shooting though, shutter priority isn't so useful, because as long is your shutter speed is high enough to give you a sharp image, it doesn't actually matter what the specific speed you use, and in good light setting a fixed speed may actually give undesirable results.

For example, on a bright sunny day, if you set the shutter speed to say 1/125th of a second, this may force the camera to close down the aperture really small to avoid overexposing the image. If you set it to 1/1000th of a second, the aperture may be wide open to get enough light at this fast shutter speed. If your subject was, say, a tulip, it won't make ANY diffference if you use 1/125th or 1/1000th of a second. However, the aperture that you get does change the image radically...

wide open aperture (lower f number eg f3.5) = shallow DOF = more blurred
smaller aperture (higher f number eg f11) = deeper DOF = more of the frame in focus

I actually really like that grass shot, but if you wanted the background to be in focus (or at least less blurred), you would need to set A priority, and select the highest f number you can without compromising your shutter speed. If you need to, you can also increase the ISO (sensitivity), which gives you more 'light' to play with. My guess is that to get the grass and background into focus, you would need a REALLY high f number, resulting in a really low shutter speed, and that would need a tripod to keep your camera still. For shots like your candids in the park, a shallow DOF is nice as it isolates the subjects from the background. You managed to get that rather by accident it seems, but to get it consistently, you'll need to be aware of the f number you're using.

The best way of learning about all this is the set the camera in A mode, find a suitable subject and try a range of apertures, observing the effects.

jonnypb

The same with Bubble's shots - he's mastered the technique of selective DoF, but he's not really doing much with it.

It was mearly a test (how many of you have lined batteries up to test DOF!? :rotfl: ) as I was bored and wanted to test out the new tripod. The shots were just throw away shots really but when Sweetgirl was asking about DOF I thought they'd be a good easy explanation for her to understand DOF more by showing her the different effects and field of focus by increasing the f-stop number :thumbsup:

I like your lobster shot :smashin:

jonnypb

I have NEVER done that.....:rolleyes:

you can't read camera mags then! ;)

line up 6-10 batteries on a flat work surface about an inch apart then position yourself at an angle to the batteries and focus on 1 of the batteries. Set it to a low f-stop number and take the pic. Take a few more focusingg on the same battery but after each shot increase the f-stop number. You know you want to :rotfl:

senu

Distinguished Member
....Shutter priority is great for shots like the gulls, when you need to maintain a high shutter speed no matter what happens to freeze the action. It's also potentially useful in low light conditions, again when you need to keep the speed up to avoid camera shake. .....

For more normal shooting though, shutter priority isn't so useful,

...You managed to get that rather by accident it seems, but to get it consistently, you'll need to be aware of the f number you're using.........

The best way of learning about all this is the set the camera in A mode, find a suitable subject and try a range of apertures, observing the effects...

Great post Yandros:smashin:

Ive just tried to Bold the salient points as they aptly summarise this whole thread

Trial and error with different apertures is a great way to see what works and what doesn't
Also varying your distance to subject even with the same aperture and focal length will affect DOF
You can have too much of a good thing,
If DOF is too shallow, it can also cause part of the same image to be OOF, an undesirable effect

SweetGirl

Thanks for all your useful advise...now i need to put this into practice...

Where did i put those batteries :D

Gizmo 76

Thanks for all your useful advise...now i need to put this into practice...

Where did i put those batteries :D

So many things I could say to this quote, but I won't :devil:

By the way really nice use of DoF in your grass shot, you made an ordinary scene really interesting :smashin:

SweetGirl

I have spent the day with my camera (and my hubby and kids) at Windsor Great Park.

I have tried to take on all the advise i was given in this thread and this is what i have got :)

I am sure you will let me know what is good and bad

463257294_b778f34b88.jpg

463246268_5737b179e6.jpg

463244536_de83d60d6b.jpg

463231682_8502cd4c1c.jpg

463242492_462c6d0a0a.jpg

463256929_ee6d4054c9.jpg

463276273_44746e0a33.jpg

463283921_cf2d929f3f.jpg

My family thinks i have gone mad :mad:

jonnypb

Well I thik you've mastered DOF!

I must say the DOF and composition on your 1st pic of the tree looks great to me. Did you shoot them in AV mode?

Have you found those batteries yet!? :rotfl:

SweetGirl

Well I thik you've mastered DOF!

I must say the DOF and composition on your 1st pic of the tree looks great to me. Did you shoot them in AV mode?

Have you found those batteries yet!? :rotfl:

Thanks Bubble502. All shot in AV mode as recommeded..

I even did the old battery test :D

senu

Distinguished Member
DOF lesson over... Youve graduated !!:rotfl:
Very Nice Pics
TBH you didnt need that much guidance beyond using AV mode more

Your images were very good.. They just got better

Now that you've well and truly sussed DOF out, should I close this thread:D?? Before we get any more "battery" puns??

SweetGirl

DOF lesson over... Youve graduated !!:rotfl:
Very Nice Pics
TBH you didnt need that much guidance beyond using AV mode more

Your images were very good.. They just got better

Now that you've well and truly sussed DOF out, should I close this thread:D?? Before we get any more "battery" puns??

Thanks Senu.

Just like to say :clap: :clap: :D :D :clap: :clap: I am so happy my class is over on this one... what next....................................:D

Yandros

Very nice work! :thumbsup:

A-DEP mode, pros and cons of using this over AV mode to get your DoF :D

No such mode in Nikonland:( (or are you being a tease? :nono: )
We get a nice auto ISO mode instead, where you specify a minimum shutter speed, and the camera will bump up the ISO accordingly when it has to.

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Audeze introduces reference LCD-5 planar magnetic headphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Chord Electronics launches Anni desktop amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Roku announces new Streaming Stick 4K and OS 10.5
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
T+A announces high end 200 Series audio components