Does Z2 work at PC or Video colour scales via DVI?

Kane D Williams

Established Member
Reaction score
which signal does the DVI input of the Sanyo Z2 expect, a PC colour level of 1-255 or Video colour level of 16-235?

I thought that it would accept the video level or be swichable between the two, as it is a home cinema product and HDCP compliant. However, some say it works at the PC level only and that switching between options 2 & 3 (see below) does nothing to the colour levels? Can anyone actually test and confirm this as it will be a real bummer for me, as my Yamakawa 365 sends out a video scale signal?

Thanks

Z2 inputs:

1. RGB(Analog)
2. RGB(PC Digital)
3. RGB(AV HDCP)
4. Component
5. RGB(Scart)

how do you intend us to try it out? I could do you a gamma chart for options 2 and 3...... i guess that given the same input to both these options, the luminance shart should get out of shape if the levels expected are wrong....to the effect that assuming I am outputting on pc level and the expected is video..... then blacks would be crushed and whites clipped?

ad

This was discussed recently here, also there's a very long Z2 thread where this is covered.

IIRC, the general consensus is that the Z2's DVI works at PC levels.

but what does the hdcp work at....... the avs guys dont seem to know for sure

ad

Buns,

I'm no expert, but what you suggest sounds like a decent enough test. I think I need to find out soon, as I may end up either getting a different PJ or selling my unopened Yamakawa?

Originally posted by buns
but what does the hdcp work at....... the avs guys dont seem to know for suread
AIUI HDCP is concerned with content not delivery, it uses DVI as its' transport so per se I don't see HDCP addresses the issue of signal levels.

but...... hdcp is a video format, not a dvi one so i see it reasonable that it would expect a video signal

ad

Pedantically :), HDCP is a digital data protection system which just happens to protect video image data. :D Per se it says nothing about the content it's protecting.

Yes, but will HDCP be used to protect anything other than video? I think this is its current sole purpose, so if a DVI equipped projector is HDCP compliant, you would think it was expecting video - right? I mean these projectors have HDCP compatibility as they are to be used with HD video material and this is why they have 720p panels and are called Home Theatre (cinema) devices! It seems ludicrous that a company would make their projector in a way that makes it less than 100% compatible with the majority of HDCP sources?!

Given the state and general crapness of dvi, i suspect that making any assumptions about it and its application is one assumption too many!

ad

It is a computer standard and never intended for video. This is one of the reasons why length of cables is a problem despite the logical assumption that digital should be lower loss.

ad

Despite divergence attempts, I want to bring this thread back to the original issue. :D

Sanyo Z2 assumes to get PC levels (0-255) no matter whether you use the "RGB PC" or "RGB AV HDCP" input. This is not about HDCP, it is about PC vs. video.

If you have a DVI-enabled DVD player, such as my Bravo D1, this is a HUGE problem, which should not be "gammad" around. A proper DVD player *should* output levels between 16 and 235. And so does Bravo D1.

So, I get crappy blacks! :mad:

So, anyone knows how to fix this problem in Sanyo Z2 (that is where the bug is) or apply an ad-hoc fix to the Bravo D1 DVD player, by telling it to output the RGB PC levels (0 - 255)? :confused:

[And, yes, I know it works perfectly with a HTPC (outputting 0-255) and I know that HDCP is a copy protection scheme. Can we skip that discussion in this particular thread? :lesson: ]

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom