Does xbox hdmi output 5.1

tommy060289

Standard Member
Hey, I'm thinking of getting a Sony hti-s100 surround system where I would connect the xbox via hdmi tithe amp and then back the tv. Would this send surround sound the amp or do I still need to run an optical cable? If I did need to, would the Sony system be capable of taking both the hdmi for picture and the optical for sound simultaniously?

Cheers,

Tom

New Start Neil

Distinguished Member

Indiana Jones

Distinguished Member
Does it output surround tho? Or do u just connect it to the tv for stereo?

The 360 can output surround sound through HDMI but whether you get it or not will depend on the equipment it's connected too.

tommy060289

Standard Member
So by the looks of it if I were to plug the hdmi from the xbox into the receiver the plug would only send 2 channel audio.

That sucks really so I'll have to send an optical cable nw. Can you get any to slink splitters that are male to 2 female? I know they do female to x2 but it rather avoid unecasary cabling if possible!

Cheers,

Tom

Indiana Jones

Distinguished Member
So by the looks of it if I were to plug the hdmi from the xbox into the receiver the plug would only send 2 channel audio.

That sucks really so I'll have to send an optical cable nw. Can you get any to slink splitters that are male to 2 female? I know they do female to x2 but it rather avoid unecasary cabling if possible!

Cheers,

Tom

The HDMI cable will send 5.1 if the 360 is set too do so but can your amp handle 5.1 via HDMI?

DJSigma

Banned
There's a few posts about this on here if you do a search. There's one long thread that I didn't read all the way through, but the impression I get from reading some of the posts is that it seems to work fine with the PS3 and other Sony gear (Blu-Ray players for example), but it won't play nicely with other brands as people can only get 2 channel sound with a 360, Sky HD box or whatever.

The 360 definitely carries 5.1 audio over HDMI, so it comes down to the amp/receiver. Maybe fire Sony's tech support an email?

New Start Neil

Distinguished Member

Cheers,

Tom

According to Sony, you receiver can handle audio and video over a single HDMI cable.

HT-IS100 (HTIS100) : TV & Home Cinema : Sony

tommy060289

Standard Member
Grrr, this is confusing as the FAQ describes it as if the hdmi only outputs 2 channel PCM Where as some people are saying it will to certain gear (including Sony gear luckily)

My next this is just wether to invest in new hdmi cables and send it all to amp then TV or send it to TV then frm TV to amp via optical.

I've got a panny tx-p42g15 and it has a toslink out but does anyone know if this links through or is this only really another way to send stereo out of the tv instead of usual AV Cables (or possibly 5.1 frm freesat if that was possible which I dnt think is ATM but could be wrong)

Indiana Jones

Distinguished Member
Grrr, this is confusing as the FAQ describes it as if the hdmi only outputs 2 channel PCM Where as some people are saying it will to certain gear (including Sony gear luckily)

My next this is just wether to invest in new hdmi cables and send it all to amp then TV or send it to TV then frm TV to amp via optical.

I've got a panny tx-p42g15 and it has a toslink out but does anyone know if this links through or is this only really another way to send stereo out of the tv instead of usual AV Cables (or possibly 5.1 frm freesat if that was possible which I dnt think is ATM but could be wrong)

I dont think any TV will output 5.1 via an optical cable, only stereo but I could be wrong.

If audio via HDMI is not playing ball why not just connect everything via optical, that should get you 5.1 no problem.

tommy060289

Standard Member
I'm trying to keep cabling to a minimum really.

Anyone reckon the 360 can 5.1 thru the hdmi whilst optical is plugged in as hdmi will b plugged into 5.1 system and optical to some 5.1 headphones I have?

Cheers,

Tom

Indiana Jones

Distinguished Member
I'm trying to keep cabling to a minimum really.

Anyone reckon the 360 can 5.1 thru the hdmi whilst optical is plugged in as hdmi will b plugged into 5.1 system and optical to some 5.1 headphones I have?

Cheers,

Tom

Yes it should work as you can get the MS audio dongle which will let you connect both HDMI and optical at the same time so you can get video via HDMI and audio via optical.

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom