Does Wi-Fi Calling actually work?

mike7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
'Wi-fi calling' was recently introduced to Virgin Media mobile subscribers, and I believe is available from other networks. Where I live the reception on LTE/3G/2G is pretty unreliable although the phone works quite happily elsewhere. I've switched on the 'Wi-fi Calling' App thinking this was the answer to my prayers. In practice it seems to make no difference. What experiences have other mobile owners had. I get perfectly good broadband (220 Mbps also from Virgin).

I've switched on the 'Wi-fi Calling' App

WifiCalling isn't an app, it's actually something inbuilt into the phone (VoWiFi). It should be an option in your settings menu.

If you specify your make/model of phone I'm sure someone can post the menu navigation to switch on.

WifiCalling isn't an app, it's actually something inbuilt into the phone (VoWiFi). It should be an option in your settings menu.

If you specify your make/model of phone I'm sure someone can post the menu navigation to switch on.
I know it isn't an App as such. I have gone into the menu of my Samsung A50 and switched it on. It appears on the top of the home screen of the phone as both 'WiFiCall' and a particular phone Symbol alongside the other connection indicators. I gather from a bit of web investigation that the facility is not generally very successful. Wondered why.

So when WiFiCalling shows at the top of the screen what happens when you make/receive a call?

Reception and transmission remains intermittent at best. There is certainly no marked improvement. Where I have a good phone signal I have no problems.

Reception and transmission remains intermittent at best. There is certainly no marked improvement. Where I have a good phone signal I have no problems.

Try putting the phone into Airplane mode and reactivating WiFi (it might take >30sec for WiFiCalling to reinitialise) and see what the call quality is like, it sound like the phone is still using cellular, some phones are set to prefer cellular even if WiFiCalling is active.

Try putting the phone into Airplane mode and reactivating WiFi (it might take >30sec for WiFiCalling to reinitialise) and see what the call quality is like, it sound like the phone is still using cellular, some phones are set to prefer cellular even if WiFiCalling is active.

You're a genius! I did as you suggested and made a test call and it appears to be 100% better. Many thanks.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom