Does which remote matter when hacking?

camcorderlover

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I would like to know if it matters which remote you use for hacking DVD players/recorders.

I have bought a One For All 4 remote from Argos specifically to try out the region free hack for my Sony RDR GX120 DVD recorder, (a subject which is highlighted in these forums - sorry if you're all bored with it).

The reason I ask if the choice of remote makes a difference is because other people seem to have successfully hacked their GX120's using Kamelion remotes, whereas I haven't been successful.

Here's exactly what happened:

I was following the instructions on the forums, and when I finished programming the codes into the keys on the remote the DVD recorder seemed to have reacted in some way (it had probably unintentionally received some signal from the remote because I was in the same room).

Then when I turned the DVD recorder off and back on again (before trying the hack) it briefly showed only static on the screen then it went through the usual "Welcome" stage twice.

Fortunately it still responded to both remotes so I know I didn't stop it from accepting signals from the original remote (I've seen other people have that problem).
But when I tried the hack the DVD recorder didn't respond at all.
I tried it in standby, when it's turned on, in the system's menu and nothing helped. I tried changing the command mode to DVD1, still no response.

The One For All remote could control the DVD recorder's normal functions (play, stop etc) but I still got no response when I tried the hack.

There's 2 possible solutions I can see:

1. Most people seem to have used the hack successfully when they used a kamelion remote. As I ask here, does the choice of remote make a difference?

2. I could try returning the DVD Recorder to factory setup and hopefully that will eliminate any changes the One For All remote made unintentionally, then try the hack again.

Or could it be that the firmware inside the machine just won't accept the codes?

Please can somebody advise? It would be a huge help! Thank you very much.

To avoid some duplication of answers - see here regarding one of your problems.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom