1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does Weather effect Sky Quialty

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Rookies, Jan 13, 2003.

1. Rookies

Rookies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +344
    Ok

Right this weekend I improved my Signal Quality Strength which was over half way.

Today when i came to look at it. It now below half way as I did notice the picture not being as good.

It just a bit windy and raining a bit outside righ tnow. But Wind is now way like we always get you know powerfull wind. It just a bit of wind should this effect my signal strenght that much??

2. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    Wind is not likely to have much of an influence but rain certainly does. Last time we had really heavy rain the signal dropped off so badly my system actually lost the signal lock. No picture at all. What's even more annoying is that a Sky+ box has to be receiving a satellite signal in order to do anything at all, so I couldn't even watch any recorded programs until after the live signal came back up. :mad:

3. Rookies

Rookies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +344
    oh oh oh now that is bad regarding the sky +. I would of though you still be able to watch what ever onthe HD. Hmm now this making me think twice now regarding sky plus.

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

If the installation is done right your reception should be fine in anything but extreme weather. In some areas (scotland, northern england) a zone2 dish is recommended which is slightly bigger than the standard minidish.
    I lost the signal once last year on SKY+ and not at all on my PACE 2200, rather disappointed actually that I lost signal at all.

The drop in signal reception during bad weather is the main reason why you should have signals levels as high as possible under normal conditions.
    The loss of signal that stops playback on SKY+ is a designed security feature.

5. jim.rae

jim.rae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree.

The weather has to be completely atrocious to have any effect on a satellite signal to a Sky receiver.

If you are having problems, your dish is slightly out of alignment or there's another problem.

Weather for most people should not be an issue on a properly installed system.