Does video quality reduce on HDMI pass through?

Quinch

Novice Member
Ok thanks, the 4k question was a hypothetical one really as I hope to upgrade the tv at some point. My old Panny plasma is only capable of 1080p (not even sure it can upscale as around 11 years old lol) so would I be best just leaving the Tivo settings to 1080p and 1080p passthrough?

I have another issue also but it relates to the sound decoding:
I have my Xbox passed through the AV also but now when I watch downloaded films from an external hard drive plugged into the USB on the Xbox the AV doesn't decode the audio properly. I know the films are DD 5.1 or DTS, the surround setting is set to 'straight' but the signal info on the the AV says PCM 2.0. Before I got the new AV I had the Xbox connected to the old surround sound via a Toslink and the old system used to display DD 5.1 as soon as the film started and the sound was definitely multi-channel.

dante01

Distinguished Member
Not sure why you'd want or need to set the upscaling option on the V6 to 1080p? Yes, engage the 1080p passthrough option, but I'd sugest you simply set the next option down to the 1080i option as opposed to 1080p. No channel accessible via the box is encoded with 1080p video. Your TV will happily dinterlace any 1080i content without using the STB to do this.

Your TV will scale the lesser resolution content it get to fit its panel. If it were not doing this then lower resolution video would have a black frame/border all the way around it because the resolution isn't high enough to fill the panel area. Your TV would need to be ancient idf not scaling the video to fit its panel automatically.

The issue you are having with the XBox are relative to the XBox's audio configurations and not an issue with u=your AV receiver. Look at the output options you have relative to HDMI.

Last edited:

Jay53

Ok thanks, the 4k question was a hypothetical one really as I hope to upgrade the tv at some point. My old Panny plasma is only capable of 1080p (not even sure it can upscale as around 11 years old lol) so would I be best just leaving the Tivo settings to 1080p and 1080p passthrough?

I have another issue also but it relates to the sound decoding:
I have my Xbox passed through the AV also but now when I watch downloaded films from an external hard drive plugged into the USB on the Xbox the AV doesn't decode the audio properly. I know the films are DD 5.1 or DTS, the surround setting is set to 'straight' but the signal info on the the AV says PCM 2.0. Before I got the new AV I had the Xbox connected to the old surround sound via a Toslink and the old system used to display DD 5.1 as soon as the film started and the sound was definitely multi-channel.

I found the audio settings on the Xbox changed recently. Each app can now have it's own setting regarding passing through audio. I would suggest going into whichever app is playing the files on the USB drive and seeing if there is a bitstream out option that has not been ticked.

Quinch

Novice Member
I found the audio settings on the Xbox changed recently. Each app can now have it's own setting regarding passing through audio. I would suggest going into whichever app is playing the files on the USB drive and seeing if there is a bitstream out option that has not been ticked.
Thanks, I assumed the Xbox would output the audio unaltered by default but apparently not. I checked the media player apps I use first and Kodi had settings for audio output which I changed but VLC and Microsoft's Media Player did not. I then checked the Xbox audio output settings and by default the digital optical output is set to DD 5.1 (hence why I got DD on the old system) but for some reason the HDMI was set to 2.0, once I changed it to DD the audio comes through fine on the AV receiver.

All sorted now (I hope), thanks everyone.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom